2013-12-29 19:58:38 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Algeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Though we caution that operational risks in Algeria will remain elevated, the market is not only one of the largest in Africa, but also highly import-reliant, and thus of considerable interest of companies looking for new revenue sources. Government programmes for the modernisation of healthcare facilities will also support the development of per capita spending on pharmaceuticals going forward, although generic medicines will remain the largest beneficiaries of such trends, on account of public sector policies and low per capita purchasing power of much of the population.
Headline Expenditure Projections:
* Pharmaceuticals: DZD245.57bn (US$3.16bn) in 2012 to DZD272.95bn (US$3.64bn) in 2013; +11.1% in local currency and +15.3% in US dollar terms. Forecasts broadly unchanged in relation to the previous quarter's projections,
though top line historical figures revised to incorporate higher population numbers.
* Healthcare: DZD666.75bn (US$8.57bn) in 2012 to DZD746.94bn (US$9.96bn) in 2013; +12.0% in local currency and +16.2% in US dollar terms. Forecasts broadly unchanged in relation to the previous quarter's projections.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754515_algeria_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_re ..
Risk/Reward Rating: In our Q1 2014 Risk/Rewards Ratings (RRR) tool, Algeria occupies an unchanged ninth position out of the 30 countries surveyed in the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region. Algeria's score for its Industry Rewards variable indicates the country's favourable longer-term standing in terms of its pharmaceutical market development, with this view supported by recent foreign direct investment (FDI) initiatives. However, we continue to envisage elevated risks, not just from a political perspective, but also on account of healthcare funding.
Key Trends And Developments:
* In September 2013, French Sanofi revealed that the construction of its third manufacturing plant in Algeria is under way. The disclosure follows the December 2012 visit by French President Francois Hollande, which saw Sanofi receive a land concession for a planned investment in Sidi Abdellah, near Algiers. Sanofi's third fixed investment in Africa highlights the long-term commercial opportunities available to the company and illustrates ongoing confidence in the Algerian business and regulatory environment.
BMI Economic View: We forecast real GDP growth in Algeria of 3.2% and 4.4% in 2013 and 2014, respectively. Much of the acceleration in growth next year will result from a projected increase in gas exports. That said, growth in the domestic economy will remain relatively slack, a trend that we expect to continue over the medium term, on account of the government's unwillingness to liberalise the economy, as well as a relatively unwelcoming business environment.
BMI Political View: Despite Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika's weak health, political risks will remain modest this year. Presidential elections, to be held in April 2014, are unlikely to lead to substantive change to the country's dysfunctional political system. As a result, risks to stability are expected to increase in the longer term.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Algeria Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Algeria Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Table: Algeria Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Table: Algeria Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Algeria Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Algeria Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Algeria Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Algeria Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Algeria Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Algeria Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (DZDmn)
- Other Healthcare Data Forecasts
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Table: Algeria - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Middle East And Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Algeria Risk Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Communicable Diseases
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Insurance
- Biotechnology And Research
- Clinical Trials
- Recent Regulatory Developments
- Trade Agreements
- Intellectual Property Environment
- Intellectual Property Shortcomings
- Pricing And Reimbursement Regime
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Domestic Pharmaceutical Sector
- Foreign Pharmaceutical Sector
- Recent Foreign Pharmaceutical Sector Developments
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale
- Pharmaceutical Retail
- Groupe Saidal
- Merck & Co
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.