2013-09-16 09:03:28 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "China Tourism Report Q4 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI's China tourism report looks at the enormous potential offered by China's tourism market, with strong domestic economic growth boosting outbound travel, and inbound travel showing similar increases throughout our forecast period. A growing, increasingly affluent, middle-class is bolstering both internal and outbound travel, and strong infrastructure investment means the country is increasingly well placed to take advantage of future opportunities for market development.
Several years of strong domestic economic growth in China has seen the government able to invest extensively in expanding tourism to the country, investing in excess of US$4bn annually since 2001 according to figures from the World Travel & Tourism Council. Alongside direct investment in the tourism industry, the government has invested heavily in transport and travel
infrastructure. The country already has a well developed rail network, though due to some areas of particularly high population density the network is prone to congestion and would benefit from expansion on key routes and major cities. A strong programme of investment means that BMI expects that in 2013 railways will make up 75% of the total transport infrastructure industry value, equivalent to US$40.7bn, industry growth of 3.8% on 2012. This expansion is based on several major projects including urban railway and high speed railways. Air travel is also a focus for investment with plans in place to build 82 new airports and refurbish a further 101 airports by 2015.
Full Report Details at
China is an increasingly attractive prospect for investment as the domestic tourism market is gradually being opened up to foreign investment through a process of industry liberalisation, particularly in relation to hospitality, meaning that overseas activity in hotel ownership and management is expanding rapidly. Travel agencies are also gradually being opened up to foreign involvement which will help to increase China's share in the international travel market.
Inbound travel to China was affected by the global credit crunch and 2012 saw a slight decline in the annual growth rates, though year on year changes still remain positive. 2013 is expected to show growth of 6.29%, rebounding from the 2012, with arrivals reaching over 29.7mn. This growth will continue throughout the forecast period, and by 2017 BMI expects that the total annual arrivals figure will reach an impressive 42.5mn.
China has a multitude of tourist attractions, including vibrant cities such as Shanghai and Beijing, cultural and historical attractions like The Forbidden City and Great Wall of China and various eco-attractions.
* Confidence in the market is reflected by growth of major hotel chains, including the opening of a new Marriott hotel in Shanghai in 2013, its 14th in the country, and the expansion of Intercontinental Hotel Group's Hualuxe brand.
* The number hotels over all is expected to increase throughout the forecast period to reach around 19,280 properties by 2017.
* Improved international economic conditions mean inbound travel is expected to increase by an average of 9%.Outbound travel will also show strong growth of around 8% per year to reach over 111mn - an exceptionally large potential market.
* This quarter BMI given China an overall Tourism Industry Risk/Reward rating of 51.3, ahead of the Phillipines but behind Laos to take 15th place in the overall Asia Pacific market.
* Key events in 2013 include a variety of festivals such as the Dragon Boat, International Kite and Spring Flower festival and national holidays, particularly National Day in October.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Inbound Travel
- Table: China Inbound Tourist Arrivals, 2010-2017 ('000)
- Table: China Top Ten Markets by Arrivals, 2010-2017 ('000)
- Outbound Tourism
- Table: China Outbound Tourism, 2010-2017 ('000)
- Table: China Outbound Tourism Top Ten destinations by departures, 2010-2017 ('000)
- Table: China International Tourism Receipts for Transport and Travel, 2010-2017
- Table: China Methods of Travel, 2010-2017
- Table: China Hotels and Restaurants Industry Value
- Table: China Hotel Accommodation, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Tourism Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Risk and Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Regional Security Ratings
- Table: China Key Infrastructure Projects
- Table: Top Ten Global Hotel Groups Present in China
- Jinjiang International Holdings
Global Industry Overview
- Table: Global Assumptions
- Table: Global And Regional Real GDP Growth, % chg y-o-y
- Developed States
- Table: Developed States, Real GDP Growth Forecasts
- Emerging Markets
- Table: BMI Versus Bloomberg Consensus Real GDP Growth Forecasts (%)
- Table: China's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: China's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: China's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: China's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Tourism Industry
- Tourism Ratings - Methodology
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.