2013-12-24 21:33:48 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
The Egyptian drug authority's complex organisational structure - with various sub-organisations and committees - makes for a difficult drug registration process for local and foreign drugmakers. We also note that, despite a relatively sound intellectual property (IP) environment, compared to other Middle East and North African (MENA) countries, and a recently established international drug pricing referencing system in favour of multinationals, political instability will continue to deter foreign investment in the Egyptian pharmaceutical industry.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: EGP12.83bn (US$2.11bn) in 2012 to EGP14.34bn (US$2.02bn) in 2013; +11.8% in local currency terms and -4.4% in US dollar terms. Forecasts in line with the previous quarter's projections.
* Healthcare: EGP74.19bn (US$12.22bn) in 2012 to EGP83.20bn (US$11.72bn) in 2013; +12.5% in local
currency terms and -3.8% in US dollar terms. Forecasts broadly in line with the previous quarter's projections.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754517_egypt_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_repo ..
Risk/Reward Rating: Egypt remains ranked in the middle of our proprietary Middle East and Africa (MEA) Risk/Reward Rating (RRR). While its demographic and epidemiological factors are seen as favourable, the country's operating environment continues to be challenging, both from an industry and country point of view.
Key Trends And Developments
* Domestic medical companies posted a 13% increase in the value of their medical sales over the months of August and September 2013, while volumes only increased by 2%, according to October 2013 reports by Daily News Egypt. Domestic companies witnessed a 15% growth in the value of their medical sales in 2012, with their revenues totalling EGP22.3bn, while the quantity of medical sales only increased by 8% during this time. This suggests a shift in the product mix, away from cheaper and towards more expensive medicines, which has an impact on affordability.
BMI Economic View: The recent dip in Egypt's headline inflation rate has ended, in line with our expectations. We therefore expect inflation to reach 11.0% by the end of the 2013. Despite the weak economic outlook, inflation will remain elevated by a combination of a depreciating Egyptian pound and hikes to energy prices, as well as the recent cut in interest rates.
BMI Political View: Egypt's transition to a fully-fledged democracy is likely to take several years at least, while there is no guarantee that it will achieve this goal. Although the momentum for democratisation is strong, we cannot preclude a return to authoritarianism in some form in the future. Prolonged uncertainty and instability would be negative for economic reform, potentially undermining Egypt's appeal as an investment and tourism destination.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Executive Summary
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Egypt Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Egypt Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Egypt Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Egypt Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Egypt Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Egypt Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Egypt Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Egypt Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Pharmaceuticals Trade Forecast
- Table: Egypt Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn), 2009-2017
- Table: Egypt Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (EGPmn), 2009-2017
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecasts
- Economic Analysis
- Positive Long-Term Outlook Remains
- Table: Egypt - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Middle East And Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Egypt Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Communicable Diseases
- Non-Communicable Disease
- Healthcare Sector
- Private Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Financing
- Healthcare Insurance
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Regional Harmonisation
- Intellectual Property Developments
- Counterfeit Medicines
- Free Trade Agreements
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Table: Essential Drugs List
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Table: HOLDIPHARMA's Joint Ventures, 2012
- Domestic Pharmaceuticals Sector
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.