2013-09-26 10:27:06 - Fast Market Research recommends "Malaysia Retail Report Q4 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
The Malaysian Retail Report examines the long-term potential of the local consumer market, but flags short-term concerns about the impact on Malaysia's economic outlook of limited room for additional fiscal stimulus by the government.
The report examines how best to maximise returns in the Malaysian retail market while minimising investment risk, and explores the impact of deteriorating global economic conditions on the Malaysian consumer as well as on the ability of producers and exporters to realise returns in the short term. The report also analyses the growth and risk management strategies being employed by the leading players in the Malaysian retail sector, as they seek to maximise the growth opportunities offered by the local market.
Full Report Details at
per capita consumer spending is forecast to increase by 44% to 2017, compared with a regional growth average of 43%. Malaysia comes third (out of seven) in BMI's Asia Retail Risk/Reward Ratings, although it outperforms slightly for risk.
Among all retail categories, mass grocery retail (MGR) will be the outperformer through to 2017 in growth terms. Sales are forecast to increase by 56.1% between 2013 and 2017, from US$15.82bn to US$24.71bn as a growing affluent middle- and upper-income consumer base embraces the concept. In the competitive arena, BMI sees upside potential in the possible easing of hypermarket regulations.
Over the past quarter, BMI has revised the following forecasts/views:
* Malaysia's GDP print showed private consumption remained resilient in Q412 and that the pace of the economic recovery picked up. However, our view remains that the recent uptick in economic data from China is unlikely to last and that the country's structural problems are likely to resurface towards the end of the year. We also expect cooling money supply growth to cap economic growth at 4.6% in 2013.
* Overall, the outlook for domestic demand remains highly positive, in our view, and we expect private consumption to expand at a robust pace of around 6.0% in 2013. Data on outstanding credit card balances suggest that the deleveraging of consumer debt since the beginning of 2011 may have run its course.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Malaysia Retail Sales Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: Retail Sales Breakdown By Key Segment, 2013f
- Table: Malaysia - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
Malaysia Risk/Reward Ratings
- Limits Of Potential Returns
- Risks To Realisation Of Returns
- Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Retail Risk/Reward Ratings
- Key Players
- Current Trends
- Asia Pacific Overview
- Table: Asia Pacific Retail Sales, 2010-2017 (US$bn)
- Table: Share Of Regional Retail Sales, 2010-2017 (%)
- Table: Asia Pacific Food Consumption, 2010-2017 (US$bn)
- Key Growth Drivers
- Table: Asia Pacific Macroeconomic Outlook, 2010-2017
Mass Grocery Retail
- Table: Malaysia Mass Grocery Retail Industry SWOT
- Market Overview
- Table: Structure Of Malaysia's Mass Grocery Retail Market By Estimated Number Of Outlets, 2005-2012
- Table: Structure Of Malaysia's Mass Grocery Retail Market - Value Sales By Format (US$bn), 2005-2012
- Table: Structure Of Malaysia's Mass Grocery Retail Market - Value Sales By Format (MYRbn), 2005-2012
- Table: Average Sales per Outlet by Format - 2012
- Mass Grocery Retail
- Table: Mass Grocery Retail Sales By Format - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Grocery Retail Sales By Type, Historical Data & Forecast (%)
- Market Overview
- Table: Computer Sales, 2010-2017
- Table: AV Sales, 2010-2017
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Handsets Sales, 2010-2017
- Industry Forecast
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2010-2017
- Passenger Vehicles
- Table: Malaysia - Passenger Car Sales By Manufacturer 2012
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Malaysia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Malaysia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Malaysia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Malaysia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.