2013-08-22 09:12:01 - New Healthcare research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Under the Pacific Alliance agreement, Chile, Peru and Colombia will recognise medicine registrations issued by COFEPRlS and allow easy entry to pharmaceutical products approved by the organisation. Mexico's well-recognised drug approval standard among Latin American countries should encourage multinationals to launch more products in the country and pave the way for an integrated pharmaceutical market among Pacific Alliance member states. Multinationals and Mexican drugmakers will enjoy faster access to markets in the member states, and local consumers will immediately have higher quality and potentially lower priced medicines available.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: MXN176.00bn (US$13.38bn) in 2012 to MXN191.342bn (US$15.56bn) in 2013; +8.7% in local currency terms and +16.3% in US dollar terms. Forecast decreased from Q313 due to changes in
* Healthcare: MXN957.76bn (US$72.82bn) in 2012 to MXN1,032.83bn (US$83.97bn) in 2013; +7.8% in local currency terms and +15.3% in US dollar terms. Forecast decreased from Q313 due to changes in macroeconomic forecasts.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/670577_mexico_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_rep ..
Risk/Reward Rating: Mexico scores 60.6 in BMI's Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Rating (RRR), making it the fifth-most attractive pharmaceutical market in America. We have re-weighted the RRR components this quarter to improve the tool, and adjusted scores for all markets in our Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare reports.
Key Trends And Developments
* In June 2013, COFEPRlS signed an agreement with Chile, Peru and Colombia as part of the implementation of Pacific Alliance. This was formed in June 2012 to group the four nations within a framework that allows the free circulation of goods, services, capital and persons among its member states.
* In June 2013, COFEPRIS reported that in the last 18 months the organisation approved nearly 16,000 health products.
* In May 2013, Mexico's Coca-Cola FEMSA, which is majority owned by beer and soft drinks multinational FEMSA, acquired Farmacias FM Moderna, a leading pharmaceutical retailer in Sinaloa. This transaction follows the acquisition of 75% stake in Mexican pharmacy chain Farmacias YZA in November 2012, as FEMSA advances in its strategy to open up a new avenue for growth in Mexico's retail pharmacy sector.
* In April 2013, Federal Commissioner Andoni Mikel Arriola Penalosa stated that Cofepris confiscated 135 tons of illegal drugs to date in 2013. More than 1mn units of 'miracle' products were withdrawn in February 2013 following increased operational outcomes, Penalosa mentioned.
BMI Economic View: We maintain our view that Mexico is facing a moderate economic slowdown in 2013, so that after strong real GDP growth of 3.9% in 2012, we forecast a 3.6% expansion in 2013. We see this deceleration as being driven largely by weaker US demand for the country's manufactured goods and more sluggish private consumption. Nevertheless, after weak growth H113, we expect to see a reacceleration in economic activity toward the latter half of the year.
BMI Political View: Recent events support our stance that Mexico's president, Enrique Pena Nieto, will be able to push through a number of substantive economic reforms over the coming quarters. Moreover, while our core view remains for only piecemeal energy sector liberalisation due to Pena Nieto's relatively measured stance on the issue to date, we highlight some potential for the president to push for more widereaching reform, given an increasingly favourable political environment.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Pharmaceutical Sales Indicators, 2009-2017
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Indicators, 2009-2017
- Table: Healthcare Governmental Indicators 2009-2017
- Table: Healthcare Private Indicators 2009-2017
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Prescription Drug Sales Indicators, 2009-2017
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, 2009-2017
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Drug Sales Indicators, 2009-2017
- OTC Drug Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Sales Indicators, 2009-2017
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Mexico Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn), 2009-2017
- Other Healthcare Data Forecasts
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Table: MEXICO - GDP CONTRIBUTION TO GROWTH
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Health Insurance
- Healthcare Sector Funding
- Medical Tourism
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Table: Clinical Trial Regulation In Mexico
- Regulatory Development
- Biologics And Biosimilar Guidelines
- Intellectual Property Issues
- Intellectual Property Challenges
- Table: Mexican Marketing Applications In Alleged Violation Of Patent Rights
- Counterfeit Drugs
- Pricing & Reimbursement
- Pricing Issues
- Pricing Developments
- Reimbursement Issues
- Other Regulatory Developments
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Domestic Industry
- Table: AstraZeneca Sales, 2005-10
- Pharmaceutical Distribution
- Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
- Table: IMSS Financial Indicators, 2000-11 (MXNmn)
- Table: SPSS Budget, 2004-11 (MXNmn)
- Other Developments
- Genomma Labs
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
- Eli Lilly
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.