2014-01-05 21:32:20 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Mexico Tourism Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI believes Mexico's tourism industry has enormous long-term potential, largely due to its proximity to the US. However, there are concerns in regards to rising levels of insecurity and the negative image this is sending to potential tourists.
Data from the Mexican Ministry of Tourism (Sectur) shows that tourist arrivals to Mexico continued to decline over the first seven months of the year. Between January and July 2013, 13.8mn tourists arrived in Mexico, a decline of 0.1% annually. This decline was led by a fall in cruise arrivals, of 11.4%, suggesting that Mexico is continuing to suffer from a reduction in routes visiting the country, perhaps owing to security concerns. Similarly, border tourism (defined as one-night or day-only tourists) fell by
5.2%, which is a worrying sign as it indicates that fewer US tourists are visiting Mexico.
Full Report Details at
These arrivals data are in line with our forecasts for a 0.07% decline in tourist arrivals in 2013, with BMI predicting full-year arrivals of 10.8mn. Tourism expenditure has continued to rise despite a decline in arrivals. This is also in line with our positive forecasts for transport and travel receipts in 2013. We forecast a 2.9% increase in total tourism receipts in 2013, to US$13.5bn, with receipts for transport services growing by 4.8% to US$0.47bn and receipts for travel items growing by 2.8% to US$13.02bn.
Key forecasts for Mexico's tourism industry:
* BMI has ranked Mexico fourth in its Americas regional ratings this quarter, down from third in the previous quarter. However, this is due to an upgrade in Uruguay's rating, placing it above Mexico, rather than a decline in Mexico's tourism fundamentals.
* BMI has revised its forecast for inbound tourist arrivals. Previously, we were forecasting an arrivals decline of 3.0%, but this has now been revised to a decline of only 0.1%. This improved forecast is a result of improved arrivals forecast from North America.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Inbound Tourism
- Table: Mexico's Inbound Tourism, 2010-2017 ('000)
- Table: Mexico's Inbound Tourism, Top 10 Markets By Arrivals, 2010-2017 ('000)
- Outbound Tourism
- Table: Mexico's Outbound Tourists, 2010-2017 ('000, unless otherwise stated)
- Table: Mexico's Top 10 Outbound Tourism Destinations, 2010-2017 ('000)
- Table: Mexico's International Transport And Travel Item Receipts, 2010-2017
- Table: Mexico's Tourism And Travel Methods, 2010-2017
- Table: Mexico's Hotel Accommodation, 2010-2017
- Table: Mexico's Domestic Hotel And Restaurant Industry Value, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Tourism Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Americas Tourism Risk/Reward Ratings
- Mexico Security Risks
- Table: Latin America Regional Security Ratings
- Table: Global Hotel Group Presence In Mexico
- Table: Mexico's Major Air Transport Infrastructure Projects
- Melia Hotels International
Global Industry Overview
- Table: Global Overnight Stays And Average Length Of Stay, 2010-2017
- Table: Hotel Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: Global Assumptions, 2012-2018
- Table: Global And Regional Real GDP Growth, 2012-2015 (% change y-o-y)
- Developed States
- Table: Developed States, Real GDP Growth Forecasts, 2012-2015
- Emerging Markets
- Table: Emerging Markets, Real GDP Growth Forecasts, 2012-2015
- Table: BMI Versus Bloomberg Consensus Real GDP Growth Forecasts, 2013 And 2014 (%)
- Table: Mexico's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Mexico's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Mexico's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Mexico's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.