2013-12-09 14:16:42 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Argentina Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Domestic pharmaceutical companies in Argentina are more competitive than many other Latin American drugmakers. Unlike neighbouring country Brazil, which can lure multinationals to supply advanced technologies in exchange for a secure market share in its attractive drug market, innovative developments in Argentina are mostly self-initiated or from collaborations with other developing countries.
The freeze or downscaling of local operations from multinationals has also indirectly provided more scope for expansion to Argentinean drugmakers. In addition, local manufacturers have expanded in other emerging market to offset the negative impact of limited growth in their domestic markets and increasing competition from other low-cost generic drugmakers.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723527_argentina_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_ ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: ARS35.2bn (US$7.7bn)
in 2012 to ARS44.8bn (US$8.2bn) in 2013; +27.0% in local currency terms and +6.1% in US dollar terms. These figures have been revised upwards since Q413 due to macroeconomic forecast changes.
Healthcare: ARS185.6bn (US$40.8bn) in 2012 to ARS228.3bn (US$41.9bn) in 2013; +22.8% in local currency terms and 2.6% in US dollar terms. These figures have also been revised upwards since Q413 due to macroeconomic forecast changes.
Risk/Reward Rating: Argentina scores 58.2 in BMI's Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Rating (RRR), making it the sixth-most attractive pharmaceutical market in America. We have re-weighted the RRR components to improve the tool, and adjusted the scores for all markets in the Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare reports. Argentina's pharmaceutical market is expected to grow at double-digit rates through to 2016 in local currency terms, largely due to inflation.
Key Trends And Developments
* In September 2013, Argentina's National Drug Regulatory Agency (ANMAT) published new rules for the seizure of fake batches of medicine.
* In the same month, Sanofi invested US$11.7mn to expand two of its manufacturing facilities in the province of Buenos Aires.
* In September 2013, ANMAT signed an agreement with the National Agency of Scientific and Technological Promotion (ANPCyT) to set up a centre for the evaluation and control of biological, biotechnology and radiopharmaceutical products. The centre will also monitor product safety and efficiency issues, and promote use of high-technology products in Argentina's public healthcare sector
* In July 2013, Laboratorios Richmond launched its Virontar drug to prevent further multiplication of HIV/ AIDS.
BMI Economic View: Signs indicate that Argentina saw a greater-than-expected pick up in economic activity in the second quarter of the year, raising the likelihood that we will revise up our 2013 real GDP growth forecast of 1.8% following the release of data for Q213. That said, we believe over the longer term there are significant downside risks to Argentina's growth picture, as long-building imbalances both in the domestic economy and in the external accounts persist.
BMI Political View: Recent polling data and the results of the August primary election reaffirm our view that the ruling Frente Para la Victoria (FPV) will lose to the opposition Frente Renovador in Argentina's midterm congressional election in October. We believe this result will ensure that President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner does not have the congressional support to amend the constitution and run for a third term, empowering more moderate political voices.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Argentina Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Healthcare Expenditure Forecast
- Table: Argentina Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Argentina Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Argentina Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Argentina Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Argentina Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Argentina Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Argentina Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Argentina Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Argentina Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (ARSmn)
- Other Healthcare Forecasts
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Table: Argentina - GDP By Expenditure
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
- Argentina Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare System
- Healthcare Insurance
- Medical Tourism
- Research & Development
- Table: Pharmaceutical R&D Investment, 2001-2007
- Clinical Trials
- Table: Product Registration, Annex I & II Listed Countries
- Intellectual Property Environment
- Pricing & Reimbursement
- Table: Pharmaceutical Price Build-Up
- Table: Taxes Paid by the Pharmaceutical Industry by Type, 2005-2007 (ARSmn)
- Table: Drug Price Freeze, 2005-2008
- Reimbursement Regime
- Other Regulatory Issues
- Domestic Pharmaceutical Sector
- Foreign Pharmaceutical Sector
- Recent Company Developments
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale Sector
- Retail Pharmacy Sector
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.