2013-10-15 01:13:00 - Fast Market Research recommends "Austria Telecommunications Report Q4 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
Austria is home to one of the most developed telecoms markets in Europe, with high penetration of mobile and broadband services. However, Austria's all-important mobile market reported slower than expected growth in 2012 and Q113 as the weaker domestic economy weighed on consumer spending and made operators' low-cost no-frills services more appealing than ever. Market saturation also has a role to play in the slowdown of growth and operators must work harder to extract more value from the customers they already have. The postpaid user base contracted slightly as a result and was buoyed only by the higher value service from 3 Austria. This leaves some interesting opportunities in the MVNO space, and Tele2 and UPC appear to be ready
to move in on the converged services opportunity.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/694782_austria_telecommunications_report_q4_ ..
* We estimate that the mobile market registered its first-ever quarter of decline in Q113. This was mostly due to purging inactive subscribers from user bases following the merger of 3 Austria and Orange, as well as Yesss! and A1 Telekom Austria.
* Price competition, cuts to mobile termination rates and IP substitution continued to drive down monthly ARPU in the mobile market. Data reported by Telekom Austria and T-Mobile showed respective declines of 16.2% and 17.6% y-o-y to Q113.
* Regulatory data show that the amount of data consumed is rapidly rising. In Q412, this was an increase of 62.1% y-o-y for a total of 21,570TBps.
Key Trends & Developments
After completing the acquisition of Orange in January 2013 Hutchison announced it would phase out the Orange brand from August 19 2013. The re-branding is part of a three pronged integration including the connection of Orange's GSM network to Hutchison's roaming partner, T-Mobile, the merging of Hutchison and Orange's 3G networks, and the construction of 6,000 2G,3G and 4G LTE base stations by the end of 2015.
LTE roll-out has continued, with Telekom Austria upgrading its 1,000th base station to support LTE services in July 2013. The network was made available in all state capitals, and nine other urban areas, giving population coverage of over 33%. Telekom Austria plans to extend coverage to a further 26 metropolitan areas by end-2013.
Telekom Austria is reportedly considering further international acquisitions, possibly to compensate for slower domestic growth. Rumours of CEE expansion have persisted since Carlos Slim acquired a 22.76% stake in the incumbent in 2012. Despite denials of expansion plans from the incumbent in May 2013, rumours have persisted, and in July 2013 it was reported that Telekom Austria was considering the acquisition of H1 Telekom in Croatia and Serbian cable TV and broadband providers SBB as part of a converged services expansion strategy in the Balkans.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Executive Summary
- Business Environment
- Table: Austria Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Austria Telecoms Sector - Blended Mobile ARPU - Historical Data & Forecasts (EUR)
- Fixed Line
- Table: Austria Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Austria Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts
Industry Risk/Reward Ratings
- Western Europe - Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Austria Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, Q113
- Mobile Growth
- Market Share And Net Additions
- Table: Austria Mobile Net Additions, 2011-2013
- Usage (MoU And ARPU)
- Mobile Content/Value-Added Services
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Mobile Market
- Table: A1 Telekom Austria
- Table: T-Mobile
- Table: Orange (acquired by 3 in Q113)
- Table: 3 Austria
- Western Europe Mobile Content
- Monetising Footfall
- Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
- Positioning Key To M2M Success
- Fixed Line
- Mobile Broadband
Industry Trends And Developments
- Industry Trends And Developments
- Regulatory Overview
- Table: Austria - Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Regulatory Developments
- Competitive Landscape
- Table: Key Players - Austria Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Operators Financial Indicators, 2008-2012
- Telekom Austria
- T-Mobile Austria
- Hutchison 3G
- Alcatel Lucent - Shifting Gear
- The Shift Plan In Detail
- Recent Results
- Table: Alcatel-Lucent: Revenues By Segment, Q113 (EURmn)
- European Heartland Remains Challenging
- Table: Alcatel Lucent: Major European Contracts/Trials, H113
- Demographic Forecast
- Table: Austria's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.