2013-02-01 01:44:19 - New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "France Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2013"
BMI View: France's high public debt-to-GDP ratio will necessitate more aggressive fiscal tightening by the state. This includes targeting the pharmaceuticals and healthcare sector, which currently receives a large proportion of public funds.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: EUR35.01bn (US$48.66bn) in 2011 to EUR34.17bn (US$43.39bn) in 2012; -2.4% in local currency terms and -10.8% in US dollar terms. Local currency forecast broadly unchanged from Q312.
* Healthcare: EUR234.30bn (US$325.68bn) in 2011 to EUR239.29bn (US$303.89bn) in 2012; +2.1% in local currency terms and -6.7% in US dollar terms. Local currency forecast slightly lower from Q312 on account of worsening macroeconomic environment.
* Medical devices: EUR10.72bn (US$14.89bn) in 2011 to EUR11.07bn (US$14.06bn) in 2012; +3.3% in local currency terms and -5.61% in US
dollar terms. Local currency forecast broadly unchanged from Q312.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/529338_france_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_rep ..
Risk/Reward Ratings: France remains ranked fourth out of the 10 markets in BMI's Western Europe Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings (RRR) matrix for Q113, with an unchanged composite score, at 67.9 out of the maximum 100 points. The country's reward profile remains considerably less attractive than its risk score, reinforcing our view of the country's potential due to a stronger emphasis on the regulatory environment, which we regard as a major factor affecting the business environment for drugmakers, rather than on the basis of real opportunities for higher per-capita drug consumption
Key Trends And Developments
* The 2013 social security financing bill has set a target of annual growth in public expenditure on healthcare at 2.7%, (down from the previously proposed 2.8%, for each year from 2012 to 2015), aiming to create cost savings of EUR2.5bn (US$3.17bn)
* In October 2012, it was reported that US soft drinks giant Coca-Cola and French drugmaker Sanofi have set up a 50/50 partnership to launch a range of drinks with various wellbeing and beauty claims as part of both companies' diversification efforts. The drinks will be branded Beautific Oenobiol, after Sanofi's beauty nutrition brand Oenobiol, which it acquired in 2009.
BMI Economic View: The protracted resolution of the eurozone sovereign debt crisis continues to weigh on domestic economic activity, with leading indicators now pointing towards stagnant growth for the last two quarters of 2012, and no suggestions that a robust recovery in 2013 will be forthcoming. While domestic pressure is mounting on President Francois Hollande to restore economic growth to France, policy-making to date has lacked a clear direction and done little to target growth or tackle any of France's structural imbalances. On its current trajectory, we do not expect the current policy mix to prove conducive to stimulating economic activity. Third party forecasts for growth have now shifted strongly towards our expectations for real GDP growth in 2012 to be weak, with the Bloomberg consensus currently standing at 0.1% for 2012 and 0.5% for 2013, compared to our forecasts of -0.2% and 0.6% respectively.
BMI Political View: We expect President Francois Hollande's domestic popularity to continue sliding in the near-future, driven by disappointment over his failure to resist German-led austerity more aggressively and the inability of the government to prevent mass layoffs and rising unemployment. However, we believe this - alongside other catalysts - may prompt Hollande to undertake politically difficult economic and social reform.
Partial Table of Contents:
- France Pharmaceuticals And Healthcare Industry SWOT
- France Political SWOT
- France Economic SWOT
- France Business Environment SWOT
Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Western Europe Pharmaceuticals And Healthcare Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
- Intellectual Property Developments
- Pricing And Reimbursement Issues
- Table: France Reimbursement Categories
- Measures Targetting Pharmaceutical Expenditure
- Evaluation Of Treatments
- Pricing And Reimbursement Developments
- 'European Price' Developments
- OTC Market Developments
Industry Trends And Developments
- Prescribing Habits
- Healthcare Financing
- Public Hospitals
- Ambulatory Care
- Table: Hospital Activity, 2005-2009
- Table: Hospital Activity in Short-Stay Units, 2009
- Table: Diagnostic & Therapeutic Procedures Performed in Public & Private Hospitals, 2009
- Ambulatory Activity
- Table: Regional Ranking of Projected Physicians, 2017
- Table: Projected Physicians, 2012-2017
- Latest Figures
- Table: Medical Personnel, 2005-2010
- Encouragement of Generic Drug Use
- Research And Development
- Biotechnology Sector
- Clinical Trials
- Medical Devices
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Overall Market Forecast
- Table: Pharmaceutical Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Indicators 2008-2016
- Table: Healthcare Governmental Indicators 2008-2016
- Table: Healthcare Private Indicators 2008-2016
- Key Growth Factors - Macroeconomic
- Table: Economic Activity
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Prescription Drug Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Patented Product Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators 2008-2016
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Drug Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Exports and Imports Indicators 2008-2016
- Medical Device Market Forecast
- Table: Medical Devices Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Other Healthcare Data
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.