2013-03-14 10:45:07 - New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "India Telecommunications Report Q2 2013"
BMI View: The Indian telecommunications market has experienced a considerable number of challenges in the last few years due to constant regulatory disputes and a hostile business environment, which includes an aggressive price war that has eroded operators' profitability. Despite the country's significant growth potential, the industry is struggling to capitalise on the opportunities, which will remain the central theme in the near future as we do not expect the market to reach a swift resolution of the complicated issues.
* India's mobile subscriber forecasts have been revised downwards in light of heavy subscriber losses in late 2012. We now expect 891mn subscribers by end-2013.
* The subscriber loss was largely due to more stringent subscriber verification rules, and
this has resulted in an upgrade in our ARPU forecast.
* We forecast slow but steady fixed broadband subscriber growth as operators and consumers opt for cheaper and more convenient mobile solutions.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/552318_india_telecommunications_report_q2_20 ..
Key Trends & Developments
Bharti Airtel and IDEA Cellular hiked their voice tariff rates by almost 100% in late January 2013 as companies try to recover from the damages and low prices resulting from the detrimental price war initiated in June 2009. Earlier in the month, Bharti Airtel and Vodafone India raised their 2G data rates The move to increase tariffs in the voice market is a more significant one given that the majority of operators' revenue comes from this service.
Reliance Communications has agreed a new eight-year managed services contract with Alcatel-Lucent. Worth a minimum of US$1bn, the upgraded deal replaces an existing five-year US$750mn contract due to expire in 2013. The deal covers management of mobile, fixed-line and enterprise networks, primarily located in eastern and southern India. Under the terms of the contract, approximately 4,000 Reliance Communications employees (around 15% of the operator's workforce) will transfer to Alcatel-Lucent.
India was ranked 11th in BMI's latest Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings with a Telecoms Rating score of 49.7. Although there was a decline in the country's score from the previous quarter, India moved up from 13th position as Bangladesh experienced a greater score decrease. We have argued for some time that, while the worst was behind us in terms of India's economic downturn, the country's growth revival would be a protracted affair, and the lack of vigour in recent industrial activity data bears witness to this view. To the disappointment of consensus expectations, industrial production growth slipped back into the red in September 2012 (contracting by 0.4% y-o-y).
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Mobile ARPU - Historical Data And Forecasts, (INR)
- Fixed Line
- Table: Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Broadband - Historical Data And Forecasts
Industry Business Environment Overview
- Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings Q2 2013
- India Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: India Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2012
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Market Shares
- Table: India Mobile Subscribers By Operator, December 2012
- ARPU And MOU
- Table: Selected 3G Subscriber Growth ('000) And Cell Sites
- Table: Selected Value-Added Services
- Table: India Mobile Market Overview
- Table: Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- Table: Bharti Airtel
- Table: Reliance Communications
- Table: Vodafone India
- Asia Pacific Mobile Content
- Fixed Line
- Table: India Fixed-Line Subscribers By Operator, December 2012
- Table: India Internet Market, September 2012
- Table: India Fixed Broadband Market, September 2012
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: 2G Auction Results
- Table: Number Of Porting Requests ('000)
- Table: Telecoms Market Developments
- Table: India: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Table: Key Players
- Table: Selected Operators Annual Revenue (INRbn)
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL)
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL)
- Bharti Airtel
- Reliance Communications
- Vodafone India
- Vendor Profile
- Table: ZTE Product Portfolio
- Financial Performance
- Table: Major Telecoms Equipment Vendor Revenue (US$mn)
- Moving Beyond Key Markets
- Table: ZTE Asia Developments
- Table: India's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: India's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: India's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: India's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Glossary Of Terms
- Table: Key Indicators For Telecommunications Industry Forecasts
- Telecoms Business Environment Ratings
- Table: Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.