2013-12-12 18:15:41 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Lebanon Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
This quarter has seen Lebanon become more attractive to innovative product launches due to more favourable country demographics. However, we highlight that access to medicines will become increasingly difficult due to ongoing sectarian tensions, political instability and the influx of Syrian refugees, putting downward pressure on healthcare services.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: LBP1,956bn (US$1.30bn) in 2012 to LBP2,056bn (US$1.37bn) in 2013; +5.1% in local currency and +5.2.% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly in line with Q413.
* Healthcare: LBP4,278bn (US$2.84bn) in 2012 to LBP4,626bn (US$3.08bn) in 2013; +8.1% in local currency and +8.2% US dollar terms. Forecast broadly in line with Q413.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/752046_lebanon_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_re ..
For Q114, Lebanon's
Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) score is calculated at 54 out of 100, placing the country sixth in the Middle East and Africa region. This score is two points higher than its Q413 score of 52 and previous ranking of eighth. The positive movement is attributed to a higher Country Rewards score based on an upwards revision to population growth in 2013 and the proportion of pensioners in the country.
Key Trends & Developments
In October 2013, Cardiome International AG, a subsidiary of Canadian biopharmaceutical company Cardiome Pharma Corporation, announced it had entered a commercialisation agreement with Lebanese company Algorithm S.A.L. Under the terms of the agreement Algorithm will sell and distribute Cardiome's cardiology drug Brinavess (vernakalant intravenous) in a number of Middle East and North African countries. Brinavess, developed by Merck & Co, has been approved in Europe and the US for the rapid conversion of recent onset atrial fibrillation to sinus rhythm in adults.
In the same month, local practitioners were cited by the Daily Star saying that alternative medical treatments such as reiki, acupuncture, homeopathy and Chinese herbal medicine were rapidly growing in popularity in Lebanon, However, these non-mainstream medical treatments are not yet regulated by any state laws or self-regulatory agencies in the country, making it easier for frauds to pose as experts. Another problem with this unregulated segment of medical treatment are advertisements on television for so-called herbal treatments.
BMI Economic View: We project real GDP growth in Lebanon of 1.7% in 2013 and 2.5% in 2014. Elevated political instability and the ongoing political deadlock will contribute to below-potential growth over the coming quarters, with exports and fixed investment to be particularly hard hit.
BMI Political View: Sectarian tensions will continue to increase in Lebanon over the coming quarters, mainly as a result of the ongoing civil war in neighbouring Syria. This will ensure that the political process remains slow, while the army will find it increasingly difficult to maintain security. Political instability will result in a significant deterioration of the country's macroeconomic outlook.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaeutical Market Forecast
- Table: Lebanon Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Lebanon Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Table: Lebanon Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Lebanon Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Lebanon Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Lebanon Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Lebanon Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2017
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Lebanon Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Lebanon Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (LBPmn)
- Other Healthcare Data Forecasts
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Table: Lebanon - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Middle East Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Lebanon Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Insurance
- Medical Tourism
- Regional Healthcare Collaboration
- Clinical Trials
- Regulatory Developments
- Counterfeit Drugs
- Public Sector Procurement
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Free Trade Agreements
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Pharmaceutical Sector Developments
- Pharmaceutical Distribution
- Retail Pharmacy Sector
- Benta Pharnaceutical Industries (BPI)
- Chalhoub Pharmaceuticals (CHAPHA)
- Alfa Laboratories
- Merck & Co
- Johnson & Johnson (J&J)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.