2013-12-04 12:14:10 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Pakistan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Pakistan's government is focused on increasing its pharmaceutical export capacity. However, we believe it would serve the country's population better if the government invested in improving local pharmaceutical production capabilities to ensure patient access to domestically manufactured drugs rather than imported medicines.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: PKR189.21bn (US$2.03bn) in 2012 to PRK209.43bn (US2.10bn) in 2013; +10.7% in local currency terms and +3.8% in US dollar terms.
* Healthcare: PKR515.60bn (US$5.52bn) in 2012 to PKR581.62bn (US$5.84bn) in 2013; +12.8% in local currency terms and +5.8% in US dollar terms.
Risk/Reward Ratings: We continue to expect improving healthcare provision in Asia Pacific to bring opportunities for pharmaceutical and medical devices players due to a wider pool of patients. However, the success of these
healthcare services depends on its implementation and subsequent monitoring. We highlight that, due to poor governance, not all countries will be able to succeed in their quest for better healthcare. Aligning with this, in BMI's Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) for Q114, Pakistan has maintained its poor rank of 15th out of the 19 markets in the regional matrix. Pakistan ranks below the regional averages for both composite Risk and Reward figures, despite its large and growing population.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723494_pakistan_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_r ..
Key Trends & Developments
In September 2013, the Pakistan Observer reported that the cost of illegal price hikes for medicines by pharmaceutical companies in Pakistan amounted to PKR90bn (US$842mn) a year.
In the same month, Pakistan's Supreme Court issued notices to 22 pharmaceutical companies for selling drugs at higher prices than the rates fixed by the Drug Regulatory Authority (DRA).
BMI Economic View: We have downgraded our FY2013/14 (July-June) real GDP growth forecast for Pakistan to 3.4% from 4.0% previously, as the economy undergoes a painful but necessary adjustment on the back of a general tightening in both fiscal and monetary policy. As the country readjusts domestically, however, we note that an improving external demand outlook should provide some relief.
BMI Political View: In the grand scheme of things, the 2013 general elections were an historic milestone for Pakistan as political power was transferred peacefully from one democratically elected government to another. The country's slowly growing acceptance of constitutional democracy and the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N)'s strong performance in the polls have persuaded us to upgrade the country's political Risk Rating. In this article, we briefly discuss the key domestic and foreign policy challenges facing the newly elected government.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Table: Pakistan Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Table: Pakistan Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Pakistan Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Generics Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Table: Pakistan - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
- Pakistan Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Infrastructure
- Table: Healthcare Facilities, 2001-2009
- Table: Beds by Healthcare Facility, 2001-2009
- Healthcare Insurance
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Regulatory Regime
- Regulatory Developments
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Domestic Pharmaceutical Industry
- Table: Members
- Foreign Pharmaceutical Industry
- Recent Pharmaceutical Sector Developments
- Pharmaceutical Distribution
- Searle Pakistan Limited
- Hilton Pharma
- Efroze Chemical Industries
- Ferozsons Laboratories
- Getz Pharma
- Pacific Pharmaceuticals
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
- Abbott Laboratories
- Table: Pakistan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Pakistan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Pakistan's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Pakistan's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
- Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
- Notes On Methodology
- Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Ratings Overview
- Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
- Indicator Weightings
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.