2012-06-27 08:47:01 - New Energy market report from Business Monitor International: "Papua New Guinea Oil & Gas Report Q3 2012"
BMI View: The future is bright for Papua New Guinea (PNG), as long as it can successfully transform its unused gas reserves into exportable LNG. The first scheme is proceeding apace and there are encouraging signs that the second project is attracting buyers for its output, although delays to its planned start-up seem inevitable. Oil production is falling and imports are rising, but the timely arrival of LNG revenues should transform the economy from 2015.
The main trends and developments we highlight for PNG's Oil and Gas sector are:
* Two major liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects are currently being developed in PNG. The first is the US$15.7bn ExxonMobil-led PNG LNG project, which was granted final approval in December 2009. Once
completed, the project could treble PNG's exports and boost its GDP by at least 20%. A landslide disrupted development activity in January 2012, but the project is said to be on track for first gas deliveries in 2014.
* InterOil has signed three preliminary gas sales deals that could clear the way for its proposed US$6bn Gulf LNG project. Shipments from the new facilities could begin in 2015, with the first customers including Hong Kong-based Noble Group, Gunvor Singapore and China's ENN Energy. The scheme has the potential to be enlarged, but there are indications that the initial plant will not reach full capacity until 2016.
* Oil consumption is forecast to rise by around 5.0% per annum to 2021, implying demand of around 64,400 barrels per day (b/d) by the end of the forecast period. The net import requirement would therefore be approximately 39,600b/d by 2021.
* Oil Search's total oil and gas production for the first quarter of 2012 was 1.46mn barrels of oil equivalent (boe), or around 16,044boe/d, compared with 2011 fourth quarter production of 1.64mn boe. As foreshadowed in the company's 2011 final results, production was impacted by a 16-day planned facilities shutdown for work related to the PNG LNG Project. Total oil sales for the quarter were 1.25mn bbl, or 13,736b/d.
* While Oil Search continues with an active exploration programme in an attempt to halt a decline in output, we are assuming PNG's oil volumes will be no more than 25,000b/d by 2021, unless fresh accumulations are brought into play.
* By 2021, the net crude oil import requirement is expected to rise to 39,400b/d, costing some US$1.4bn at an assumed OPEC basket oil price of US$97.00/bbl. Gas exports are forecast to rise towards 21bcm by 2021, bringing in potential LNG revenues of US$10.3bn. Potential petroleum export revenues for 2021 are therefore estimated at US$9.26bn, with LNG export revenues dwarfing the cost of rising oil imports. At the time of writing we assume an OPEC basket oil price for 2012 of US$111.47/bbl, falling to US$107.00/bbl in 2013.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/404286_papua_new_guinea_oil_gas_report_q3_20 ..
Partial Table of Contents:
- Papua New Guinea Oil and Gas SWOT
Global Energy Market Outlook
- Table: Oil Production Forecasts, 2010-2016 ('000 b/d)
- Table: Oil Consumption Forecast, 2010-2016 ('000 b/d)
Regional Energy Market Outlook
Papua New Guinea Energy Market Overview
- Table: Papua New Guinea Upstream Projects Database
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Papua New Guinea Oil & Gas - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2016
- Table: Papua New Guinea Oil & Gas - Long-Term Forecasts, 2014-2021
- Oil And Gas Reserves
- Oil Supply And Demand
- Gas Supply And Demand
- Refining and Oil Products Trade
- Revenues/Import Costs
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
Oil And Gas Infrastructure
- Oil Refineries
- Service Stations
- Oil Storage
- LNG Terminals
- Gas Pipelines
Regional and Country Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Upstream Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Downstream Risk/Reward Ratings
- PNG Upstream Rating - Overview
- PNG Upstream Rating - Rewards
- PNG Upstream Rating - Risks
- PNG Downstream Rating - Overview
- Executive Summary
- Table: Key Players - PNG Oil And Gas Sector
- Table: Upstream Players
- Table: Downstream Player
- Overview/State Role
- Licensing and Regulation
- Government Policy
- International Energy Relations
- Oil Search
- Esso Highlands - Summary
- Santos - Summary
- Talisman Energy - Summary
- Horizon Oil - Summary
- Papua Petroleum - Summary
- Blue Energy - Summary
- Eaglewood Energy - Summary
- LNG Energy - Summary
- Others - Summary
Asia - Regional Appendix
- Table: Oil Consumption Forecasts, 2009-2016 ('000b/d)
- Table: Oil Consumption Long-Term Forecasts, 2014-2021 ('000b/d)
- Table: Oil Production Forecasts, 2009-2016 ('000b/d)
- Table: Oil Production Long-Term Forecasts, 2014-2021 (000b/d)
- Table: Refining Capacity Forecasts, 2009-2016 ('000b/d)
- Table: Refining Capacity Long-Term Forecasts, 2014-2021 ('000b/d)
- Table: Gas Production Forecasts, 2009-2016 (bcm)
- Table: Gas Production Long-Term Forecasts, 2014-2021 (bcm)
- Table: Gas Consumption Forecasts, 2009-2016 (bcm)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.