2013-12-08 18:35:06 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Australia Infrastructure Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
We have revised down our full-year Australian construction growth forecast for 2013 to 2.2% (previously 2.6%) as construction data in H113 has disappointed. However, we still believe that construction activity could improve from levels seen in 2012, but over a longer timeframe. As such, we have maintained our 2014 construction growth forecast at 3.3%. This is because of conducive monetary conditions for construction, a sustained recovery in homebuilding activity, as well as the potential for greater fixed investment from the private and public sectors.
Key developments in the sector:
* In October 2013, Leighton Contractors won a AUD370mn contract to construct a new terminal and an integrated transport facility as part of a capacity upgrade for Melbourne Airport. Terminal 4 will
include baggage handling and re-claim facilities, check-in kiosks and a number of retail areas. The project will also involve the construction of a complementary transport facility which will include a seven-storey car park. Work is scheduled to commence with immediate effect with an expected completion date of 2015. The new Terminal 4 will be delivered by the firm in a joint venture with its subsidiary Broad Construction.
* In October 2013, McConnell Dowell won an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract worth AUD455mn (US$429.55mn) from Samsung C&T for the design and construction of the Port Marine Works in Port Hedland, western Australia. The scope of work under the project includes all the structural, mechanical, piping, electrical & instrumentation works as well as a drive station, an abutment, three transfer stations and a two berth iron ore load out wharf joined with an about 3,600m long elevated overland conveyor lading to the ore stockyard. The project, scheduled to begin in late 2013, is likely to be completed in mid-2015.
* In October 2013, the government of Victoria shortlisted three consortiums, namely East West Connect, Inner Link Group and Momentum Infrastructure, for delivering the AUD7bn (US$6.6bn) Stage 1 of the East West Link. The consortiums were selected after considering their expressions of interest for the project. The project that includes an 18km-long cross city connection north of the Melbourne central business district in Australia, will be delivered as an availability private public partnership with the state retaining tolling and traffic risk in the beginning. The capital cost of the East West Link Stage 1 is estimated to be between AUD6bn (US$5.65bn) and AUD8bn (US$7.54bn). Project construction will start in late 2014 and is expected to be completed in 2019-2020.
* In September 2013, US private equity firm Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) received bids for its 26.7% stake in the Port of Brisbane, Australia. Borealis Infrastructure and Industry Funds Management are believed to be the bidders for the stake, reports the Australian. The indicative bids were due by the week ended September 21 2013, while the sale process is expected to take an additional 12 weeks. The stake is valued at about AUD900mn (US$851.75mn), while it was acquired for AUD575mn (US$544.17mn) in 2010.
* In September 2013, Australia's recently elected Prime Minister Tony Abbott and New South Wales (NSW) Premier Barry O'Farrell jointly announced that the NSW state government and the federal government will provide AUD1.8bn and AUD1.5bn respectively for the AUD11.5bn WestConnex motorway over the next four years. The rest of the funds will be raised by the private sector via distance- based tolls, which are capped at AUD7.70. The 33km WestConnex motorway is expected to be developed in three stages (see table) and start construction works in 2015.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723532_australia_infrastructure_report_q1_20 ..
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Construction And Infrastructure Forecast Scenario
- Table: Australia Construction & Infrastructure Industry Data, 2012-2017
- Table: Australia Construction And Infrastructure Long Term Forecast, 2018 - 2023
- Transport Infrastructure - Outlook And Overview
- Table: Australia Transport Infrastructure Industry Data, 2012 - 2017
- Table: Australia Transport Infrastructure Long Term Forecast, 2018 - 2023
- Table: Competitiveness Of Australia's Infrastructure
- Table: Liberal-National Coalition Proposed Federal Funding Plans For Transport Infrastructure, By Year, By State, AUDmn
- Table: Major Projects Table - Transport
- Energy And Utilities Infrastructure - Outlook And Overview
- Table: Australia Energy and Utilities Infrastructure Industry Data, 2011-2016
- Table: Australia Energy and Utilities Infrastructure Long Term Forecasts, 2017-2022
- Major Projects - Energy & Utilities
- Table: Major Projects - Energy and Utilities
- Residential/Non-Residential Construction - Outlook And Overview
- Table: Australia Residential and Non-residential Building Industry Data, 2011-2016
- Table: Australia Residential and Non-residential Building Long Term Forecasts, 2017-2022
- Major Projects Table - Residential/Non-Residential Construction
- Table: Major Projects - Residential/Non-Residential Construction and Social Infrastructure
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Australia Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia - Infrastructure Industry Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Infrastructure Risk Reward Ratings
- Competitive Landscape
- Table: EQS Industry Data
- Leighton Holdings
Global Industry Overview
- Table: Latin America PPP Round-Up
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Sector Specific Methodology
- Risk Reward Rating Methodology
- Sector Specific Methodology
- Table: Infrastructure Risk Reward Rating Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.