2012-08-31 14:09:13 - New Healthcare research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI View: Given the country's under-developed pharmaceutical industry and its membership in the Association of Southeast Asia Nations (ASEAN), Cambodia represents a good long-term investment for pharmaceutical firms. However, we highlight that the it will remain low on investors' list given that it's neighbouring countries such as Vietnam and Thailand have made significant progress in terms of healthcare provision and establishment of various regulations.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: CHR877bn (US$217mn) in 2011 to CHR984bn (US$236mn) in 2012; +12.3% in local currency terms and +9.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from Q212.
* Healthcare: CHR2,982bn (US$737mn) in 2011 to CHR3,312bn (US$794mn) in 2012; +11.1% in local currency terms and +57.8% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from Q212.
devices: CHR108bn (US$27mn) in 2011 to CHR118bn (US$28mn) in 2011; +9.8% in local currency terms and +6.6% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from Q212.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/451309_cambodia_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_r ..
Risk/Reward Rating: Cambodia continue to rank last out of the 18 key markets in BMI's Q312 Asia Pacific Risk/Rewards Ratings (RRR), with a below regional average (52.7) score of 33.5. While the general under-developed market represents long-term opportunities, corruption and poor governance limit market potential.
Key Trends And Developments
* In June 2012, the health ministry reported that there were 4,434 dengue fever cases in the first five months of 2012, causing 21 children's deaths. Comparing to 2011, this was an increase of 1,007 dengue cases and 8 deaths. Ngan Chanthan, the director of the dengue control programme stated that the country may be facing an outbreak.
* In March 2012, the Cambodian Ministry of Commerce said the value of medicine and medical equipment imports rose by about 5% y-o-y to US$124.3mn in 2011. Minister of Health Mam Bunheng said the medicine manufacturing sector is growing annually but imports are also increasing, the Phnom Penh Post reported. Bunheng emphasised the need for locally produced competitive medicines. Cambodia primarily imports medical products from India, South Korea, Pakistan, Thailand, Australia and Japan. At the time of writing, Cambodia pharmaceutical and medical devices trade data in 2011 are not available on UN commodities trade database.
BMI Economic View: Cambodia's high dollarisation rate, estimated to be 80%, should gradually fall over the coming years as market-friendly economic policies induce more confidence in the domestic currency. This, in turn, should leave the economy less exposed to external shocks.
BMI Political View: The ruling Cambodian People's Party (CPP)'s overwhelming victory in the recent communal elections suggests there is little threat to its tight grip on power as the 2013 general elections approach. This is a positive for foreign investors. However, there are growing risks of rising public unrest as the issue of land rights and forced evictions heats up as a result of the CPP's liberal foreign investment policies.
Report Table of Contents:
- Cambodia Pharmaceuticals And Healthcare Industry SWOT
Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings, Q312
Cambodia - Market Summary
- Intellectual Property Environment
- Counterfeit Medicines
- Pricing And Reimbursement
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Health Insurance
- Research & Development Sector
- Clinical Trials
- Medical Devices
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Overall Market Forecast
- Table: Pharmaceutical Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Key Growth Factors - Industry
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Indicators 2008-2016
- Table: Healthcare Governmental Indicators 2008-2016
- Table: Healthcare Private Indicators 2008-2016
- Key Growth Drivers - Macroeconomic
- Medical Device Market Forecast
- Table: Medical Devices Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Exports and Imports Indicators 2008-2016
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Pharmaceutical Company Developments
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale
- Pharmaceutical Retail
- Local Companies
- PharmaProduct Manufacturing
- Cambodia Pharmaceutical Enterprise
- Multinational Companies
- Table: Cambodia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Cambodia's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Cambodia's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Cambodia's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Pharmaceutical Industry Forecasts
- Pharmaceuticals Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Ratings Overview
- Table: Pharmaceutical Business Environment Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Components
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.