2013-12-12 18:19:55 - Fast Market Research recommends "Egypt Shipping Report Q1 2014" from Business Monitor International, now available
Political uncertainty will continue to affect the Egyptian economy in 2014 as the country continues through its rocky transitional period towards democracy. At the time of writing, in October 2013, violence has continued to wrack the country in the wake of the ouster of democratically elected President Morsi in July 2013, and a curfew remains in place. The uncertainty will continue to hamper trade and economic growth over the year.
The presence of the Suez Canal in Egyptian territory provides an important source of income in fees and associated businesses to the Egyptian economy; those ports expected to see strongest growth in 2014 are those located near the canal, such as East Port Said. However, should instability bring danger to these
ports then these two could see volumes affected.
Full Report Details at
Headline Industry Data
* 2014 total tonnage throughput at El Dekheila is forecast to grow by 3.5% to 26.10mn tonnes, and to average 3.7% per annum to 2018.
* 2014 East Port Said container throughput growth forecast at 8.6% to reach 4.0mn twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs), and to average 8.5% to 2018.
* 2014 Egyptian trade forecast to grow by 4.0%, and to average growth of 6.1% over the medium term.
Key Industry Trends
Suez Canal To Flow As Normal In Spite Of Recent Attacks: Despite the August attack on a container ship passing through the Suez Canal, and subsequent threats by the group responsible to repeat the assault on further vessels, we are confident that volumes passing through the channel will continue as normal, especially as the attack has not led to a hike in insurance premiums.
Ashdod Loses Major Service Call In Boon For Egyptian Ports: BMI believes that the decision by the G6 Alliance to cancel one of its direct calls at the Israeli port of Ashdod in August could be the first of many services to be lost by Israeli ports, as they are unable to handle the larger class of vessel that are coming to operate on the Asia-Europe shipping lanes. This could benefit Port Said.
Record Amount Of Cargo Passes Through Suez Canal: A total of 68 ships carrying 4.8mn tonnes of cargo passed through Egypt's Suez Canal on August 9, according to Mohab Mamish, chairman of the Suez Canal Authority. The amount was the largest ever to pass through the waterway in a single day since it started operations in 1869, Mamish added.
Key Risks to Outlook
The main risks to our forecasts for Egyptian ports are primarily to the downside. Should the political unrest destabilising the country at the time of writing (October 2013) continue, then growth in Egyptian trade could be hampered. Further, the country's transhipment hub of East Port Said could lose its attractiveness to international shipping lines concerned over potential dangers and disruptions to their business.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- East Port Said Throughput
- Port Of El Dekheila Throughput
- Table: Major Port Data, 2011-2017
- Table: Trade Overview, 2010-2017
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: Main Import Partners, 2004-2011
- Table: Main Export Partners, 2004-2011
- Egypt Container Shipping Market Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
Shipping - Global Industry View
- Box Demand: Container Outlook Strengthening In 2014
- Supply: Slowing New Vessel Deliveries To Decrease Overcapacity Pressure
- Table: Q313 Container Vessel Deliveries
- Table: 2013 Mega Vessel Orders
- Box Rates: Rate Push In Preparation For 2014
- Table: 2012 & 2013 SCFI Europe Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
- Table: 2012 & 2013 SCFI USWC Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
Global Company Strategy
- Maersk Line
- Mediterranean Shipping Company
- CMA CGM
- Evergreen Line
- COSCO Container Lines Company
- Table: Egypt - Gdp By Expenditure, Us$ Terms Breakdown
- Table: Egypt's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Egypt's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Egypt's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Egypt's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.