2013-02-28 15:13:27 - New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Iraq Telecommunications Report Q1 2013"
BMI View: The Iraqi government has placed an exorbitant fee on 3G licences in the country. Although the network operators have voiced their displeasure, BMI believes the high cost of additional spectrum will not be a barrier for any of the three operators, which will all look to the positive consumer story in Iraq as justification for significant investments. However, we point to potential compromise over lower licence fees that could benefit consumers and the Iraqi economy.
* The mobile market grew by 5.5% in Q312 and 11.2% in 9M12.
* Mobile ARPU fell marginally by 0.3% in Q312.
* Iraq had one of the lowest fixed-line and broadband penetration rates in the region at 5.5% and 0.4% respectively
at the end of 2011.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/536475_iraq_telecommunications_report_q1_201 ..
Iraq dropped one place to eighth position in BMI's RRR table for Q113. The country scores below the regional average in all four categories of our ratings table as a difficult regulatory environment, including frequent government interference in policies and decisions, and political uncertainty counterbalance the positive economic outlook in the country, which is capable of driving demand for advanced telecoms services in the country.
Key Trends & Developments
Iraq's three mobile operators - Zain Iraq, Qtel-backed Asiacell and France Telecom-backed Korek Telecom - are gearing up to list at least 25% of their shares on the Iraqi stock exchange in 2013 in fulfilment of their licence conditions. The three operators were fined retrospectively in July 2012 for failing to meet the initial deadline of August 2011 and have now stepped up efforts to implement the directive, despite lingering concerns over the market's liquidity and its ability to attract high-value investors amid the security challenges and political uncertainty in the country. Zain and Asiacell have confirmed plans to complete their listing by Q113, and we expect Korek to have similar plans, although it was yet to make this public at the time of writing.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- BMI Industry View
- Mobile SWOT
- Wireline SWOT
- Business Environment
Industry Business Environment Overview
- Middle East And North Africa Risk/Reward Ratings - Q1 2013
- Industry Rewards
- Country Rewards
- Industry Risk
- Country Risks
- Table: MENA Telecom Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecast
- Table: Telecoms Sector - ARPU - Historical Data & Forecast
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Fistorical Data & Forecast
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecast
- Mobile - Q1 2013
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Iraq Mobile Market Regional Comparison, 2011
- Key Developments
- Mobile Growth
- Market Share
- Mobile Content/Value-Added Services
- Mobile Operator Tables
- Table: Mobile Market Overview
- Table: Zain
- Table: Asiacell
- Table: Korek
- Data Networks Key To VAS Development
- Crossovers Dominate The Landscape
- OTT Players And Content Providers: Collaboration vs Competition
- Apps Will Thrive On Advanced Data Networks
- M2M Offers Opportunities
- Fixed Line - Q1 2013
- Broadband - Q1 2013
Industry Trends And Developments
- Industry Trends And Developments
- Regulatory Development
- Table: Iraq - Regulatory Bodies & Their Responsibilities
- Competitive Landscape
- Table: Key Players - Iraq Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Operators - Financial Indicators
- Iraqi Telecommunication & Post Company (ITPC)
- Alcatel-Lucent - Returning To Prominence In Emerging Markets
- Table: Alcatel-Lucent - Quarterly Breakdowns Of Revenue By Segments, 2011-2012 (EURmn)
- Under Pressure Despite Carriers' Needs For More Bandwidth
- Demographic Forecast
- Table: Iraq's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Iraq's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Iraq's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Iraq's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Glossary Of Terms
- Table: Key Indicators For Telecommunications Industry Forecasts
- Telecoms Business Environment Ratings
- Table: Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.