2013-02-01 18:15:51 - New Transportation market report from Business Monitor International: "Kuwait Freight Transport Report Q1 2013"
Kuwait's ports have struggled to recover the volumes they enjoyed prior to the global economic downturn, but BMI expects recovery to have been completed by 2013, and that growth will continue over the medium term. If there are continued instances of industrial unrest and strikes, however, as Kuwait's ports have struggled with since the Arab Spring of 2011, then we may have to revise our forecasts down. The air freight sector was also hit in 2011, with volumes falling, and we estimate that 2012 also saw a decline. In 2013, we forecast that air freight cargo at Kuwait International Airport will return to growth, albeit at a sedate pace over our forecast period.
What continues to bode well for Kuwait's freight
transport is our macroeconomic outlook for the country. Oil prices remain elevated, and this is translating into spending by the Kuwaiti government and greater wealth among the populous. This is attracting logistics companies to add services to the country. Kuwaiti logistics company Agility continues to develop rapidly.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/529408_kuwait_freight_transport_report_q1_20 ..
Headline Industry Data
* 2013 Port of Shuaiba tonnage throughput growth forecast at 4.0% and to average 5.3% to 2017.
* 2013 Kuwait International Airport air freight tonnage forecast to grow by 1.8% and to average growth of 1.4% a year to 2017.
* 2013 total trade real growth forecast at 3.0% and to average 4.0% to 2017.
Key Industry Trends
FlyDubai Cargo Offers Upside To Kuwait
BMI believes that upside risk to our air freight growth forecast for Kuwait could be presented by the commitment new regional carrier flyDubai Cargo is showing to the country. This marks a continued expansion by the recently formed budget carrier, which has been growing rapidly since its launch in early 2012.
Agility Looks To Arab Spring States
The Kuwaiti logistics company, Agility, is looking to capitalise on the growth prospects present in the Arab Spring states of Egypt, Libya and Tunisia, in keeping with its strategy of developing its emerging markets coverage. We believe that through continuing its focus on emerging markets, the company could begin to return to the level of profitability it enjoyed before losing its lucrative contract with the US Army, though it has some way to go before this is realised.
Government Agrees To End Dispute Over Gulf-War-Era Debts
The Kuwaiti government in October 2012 granted approval to a settlement with Iraq aimed at ending a dispute over Gulf War-era debts. The approval will also lift legal actions on Iraqi Airways flying to destinations in the West. The dispute between the two sides was over billions of dollars in compensations dating back to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990-1991 and the expropriation of Kuwaiti aircraft and parts.
Risks To Outlook
The Middle East and North Africa region has seen huge upheavals since the start of 2011, and no country is immune from the repercussions on trade. Kuwait has not been severely hit by unrest, but it is still possible that demonstrations could develop as they have in other Gulf countries, which could adversely affect our port throughput forecasts. We have seen industrial unrest in Kuwaiti ports and airports, more instances of which in 2013 could affect our outlook.
Report Table of Contents:
- Kuwait Freight Transport Industry SWOT
- Kuwait Political SWOT
- Kuwait Economic SWOT
- Kuwait Business Environment SWOT
Industry Trends And Developments
- Macroeconomic View
- Air Freight
- Table: Air Freight, 2010-2017
- Maritime Freight
- Table: Maritime Freight, 2010-2017
- Table: Trade Overview, 2010-2017
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: Kuwait's Main Import Partners (US$mn), 2002-2009
- Table: Main Export Partners (US$mn), 2002-2009
Global Oil Products Price Outlook
- Table: BMI's Refined Products Forecasts, 2010-2016
- Table: Middle East Outperforms In Terms of Passenger Growth
- Domestic Politics
- Long-Term Political Outlook
- Table: Kuwait - Economic Activity, 2011-2016
- Kuwait Oil Tanker Company (KOTC)
- United Arab Shipping Company (UASC)
- Kuwait Airways (Cargo)
- Table: Kuwait's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Kuwait's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Kuwait's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Kuwait's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Transport Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.