2013-02-03 16:30:12 - New Healthcare research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI View: Kuwait's small population, and the fact that many residents are expatriates means that the country's healthcare market is closely linked to that of neighbouring Arab nations. Private healthcare accounts for around a fifth of total spending, and the government funds treatment for many nationals abroad. As Kuwait's population expands, grows older, and the incidence of non-communicable diseases such as diabetes and obesity increases, the government is coming under increasing pressure to improve its domestic facilities. In 2010 it embarked on a US$108bn project to add 3,500 beds to hospitals and boost healthcare facilities; once completed, the government estimates it will need an additional 15,000 healthcare professionals in the country.,
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: KWD204mn (US$737mn) in 2011 to
KWD219mn (US$781mn) in 2012; +7.4% in local currency terms and +6.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast raised from Q412.
* Healthcare: KWD1.10bn (US$3.96bn) in 2011 to KWD1.20bn (US$4.30bn) in 2012; +10.0% in local currency terms and +8.5% in US dollar terms. Forecast raised from Q312.
* Medical devices: KWD75mn (US$273mn) in 2011 to KWD82mn (US$294mn) in 2012; +9.3% in local currency terms and +7.9% in US dollar terms. Forecast raised from Q312.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/529406_kuwait_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_rep ..
Risk/Reward Rating: In BMI's RRRs table for Q113, Kuwait remains second, remaining less than 1pp behind the regional leader, United Arab Emirates (UAE). The country's composite score is stable compared to Q412, with Kuwait obtaining 58.0 out of the maximum 100 points. Globally, Kuwait ranks 27th out of 95 markets. We expect that it will retain its favourable ranking over the coming months, on account of high per capita spending on medicines, although political instability may mean that its healthcare reform progress is slower than planned.
Key Trends And Developments
* Merck gained approval to launch its combined diabetes and cholesterol lowering drug Juvicortm (sitagliptin and simvastatin) in Kuwait in October 2012. Kuwaiti doctors estimate that 21% of the population suffer from the disease.
* Officials from Kuwait and Hungary's governments met in Q412, in a move to build a strategic partnership between the two countries. This will see collaboration in many areas, including healthcare; Kuwait is keen to take advantage of Hungary's expertise in areas such as oncology.
The two nations will hold their first joint Economic Committee in Budapest in April 2013. * Obesity continues to be a key concern in Kuwait. Recent figures cited by professionals from Adan Hospital in September 2012 claimed that 40% of children are obese.
BMI Economic View: Kuwait's economic outlook remains broadly positive, particularly in the near term, although the economy balances on oil, so any downturn in global oil prices would affect its prospects and leave Kuwait at risk of increased inflation. The economy's wellbeing also depends upon political stability, so recent upheavals could have a negative impact on growth.
BMI Political View: In October 2012, Emir Sheikh Shabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah unilaterally decided to amend the electoral law by decree, marking the latest chapter in Kuwait's recent history of political instability. With the opposition now likely to boycott parliamentary elections, scheduled for early December 2012, political tensions are spreading to the streets, with outbursts of civil unrest. Rumours of government corruption are clouding the political scene further.
Partial Table of Contents:
- Kuwait Pharmaceuticals And Healthcare Industry SWOT
- Kuwait Political SWOT
- Kuwait Economic SWOT
- Kuwait Business Environment SWOT
Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Middle East And Africa Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
Kuwait - Market Summary
- Foreign Direct Investment Regulations
- Intellectual Property Regime
- IP Shortcomings
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Public Procurement Of Medicines
- Regional Harmonisation
- Free Trade Agreements
- Communicable Diseases
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Sector Reform
- Healthcare Staff
- Primary Care
- Secondary Care
- Public Health Developments
- Healthcare Financing
- Healthcare Insurance
- Healthcare Insurance Developments
- Research & Development
- Biotechnology Sector
- Clinical Trials
- Medical Devices
- Table: New Products Launched In 2009
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Overall Market Forecast
- Table: Pharmaceutical Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Indicators 2008-2016
- Table: Healthcare Governmental Indicators 2008-2016
- Table: Healthcare Private Indicators 2008-2016
- Macroeconomic Forecast
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Prescription Drug Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators 2008-2016
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Drug Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Exports and Imports Indicators 2008-2016
- Medical Device Market Forecast
- Table: Medical Devices Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Regional Pharmaceutical Sector Developments
- Foreign Company Developments
- Pharmaceutical Distribution
- Local Companies
- Kuwait-Saudi Pharmaceutical Industries (KSP)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.