2012-09-02 16:52:16 - New Consumer Goods research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI View: We project that Singapore's consumer electronics spending will grow by about 6% in US dollar terms in 2012 to US$4.2bn. Strong sales of smartphones in 2011 underlined the opportunity for high-end product innovation to drive revenue growth in the mature Singaporean market. In the AV category, vendors will play to Singaporean consumers' enthusiasm for new technologies with releases of LED, 3D and internet-enabled TV sets. There are a number of other key growth areas including 3G phones, DSLR cameras, Blu-ray DVD players, netbooks and high-end notebooks. However, some other product groups such as Plasma TV sets and compact digital cameras are experiencing relatively flat growth.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/451383_singapore_consumer_electronics_report ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Computer hardware sales: US$2.7bn
in 2011 to US$2.9bn in 2012, +6% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to macroeconomic factors but there should be a stimulus from the iPad3 and Ultrabooks.
* AV sales: US$885mn in 2011 to US$940mn in 2012, +5% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with product innovation the main growth driver.
* Handset sales: US$323mn in 2011 to US$349n in 2012, +8% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged with smartphones the main handset market driver in 2011, owing to local sales of Apple's iPhone, and phones based on the Android operating system.
Singapore's score was 72.4 out of 100.0, which gives it first place in our latest Asia CE RRR table. The country's high market risk and country risk scores of 85 and 88 respectively reinforced its also competitive CE market score of 58.
Key Trends & Developments
* Most Singapore households have already bought a flat-screen TV and, as the market matures, manufacturers will attempt to sustain growth by introducing new products and features. Demand for larger and thinner screens is now the main driver as consumers seek a higher quality viewing experience. A trend for households to purchase multiple sets will also stimulate sales, as will new technologies such as 3D TV sets.v * More than 70% of handsets sold on the Singaporean market are smartphones, which is one of the highest global penetration rates. In the fourth calendar quarter of 2011, SingTel reported a 44,000 increase in postpaid net additions, driven by higher smartphone connections. According to operator data, over 80% of new postpaid subscribers in the quarter chose smartphones.
* The PC market should continue to grow as vendors release new models, and it receives a boost from the standard operating environment project. Around 75% of Singaporean households now have a PC, but consumers have appeared willing to spend on upgrading their notebook computers, and there is a trend for households to own more than one unit. The massive growth in broadband penetration will be a major driver of demand for new devices, including tablets.
Report Table of Contents:
- Singapore Consumer Electronics Market SWOT
- Singapore Electronics Industry SWOT
- Singapore Political SWOT
- Singapore Economic SWOT
- Singapore Business Environment SWOT
Asia Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Consumer Electronics Risk/Reward Ratings, Q312
- Table: Computers: Demand, 2009-2016
- AV Devices
- Table: AV Devices: Demand, 2009-2016
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Handsets: Demand, 2009-2015
- Government Authority
- Electronics Industry
- Table: IT Hardware Output, 2009-2016
- Table: Singapore Production of Electronic Products and Components Index. 2002-2011 (2007 = 100)
- Table: Electronics Manufacturing, % chg
- Table: Semiconductors, 2009-2016
- Table: Electronic Components Wholesale Domestic Trade Index, 2009-2011
- Table: Electronic Components Wholesale Foreign Trade Index, 2007-2010
- Long-Term Challenge
- IT Hardware
- Table: Electronics Production
- Table: AV Production
- Table: Telecommunications And Computers, Wholesales Trade Foreign Index, 2007-2012
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2009-2016
- Singapore - Economic Activity, 2011-2016
- AV Devices
- Mobile Handsets
- Domestic Company Profiles
- Global Foundries (previously Chartered Semiconductors)
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Singapore's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Singapore's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Singapore's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Singapore's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.