2013-09-17 09:11:13 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Romania Insurance Report Q4 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
As of mid-2013, our overall impression is that Romania's insurance sector remains resilient in face of a number of challenges. In spite of the general softness of the economy in general and sales of cars in particular, there has not been a sharp contraction in non-life premiums. Premiums in the life segment have held up fairly well too, suggesting that - for those Romanians who can afford the regular premiums - life insurance is valued as a conduit for their savings.
The Romania Insurance Report considers the prospects for life and non-life insurers in that country. As of mid-2013, the overall impression is one of resilience. Some countries in Central and Eastern Europe have suffered double-digit drops in non-life premiums. Others
have endured similar contractions in their life segments. Romania does not fall into either category. In short, the insurance sector has withstood a number of challenges, including the softness of the overall economy and sales of cars in particular.
Full Report Details at
That gross written premiums in the non-life segment rose in 2012 was remarkable given that business, by that metric, contracted in the three largest lines, which account for the majority of the segment. Premiums fell for compulsory motorists' third-party liability (CMTPL) insurance, voluntary motor insurance (CASCO) and fire and all risks. As of early 2013, it appears to us that some price competition persists in both of the main motor lines. However, the overall impact in 2012 was offset by surges in premiums in smaller lines, such as general liability and suretyship.
VIG and Allianz, the two leading (composite) multi-national groups who regularly provide details of their operations in Romania indicated they had endured high combined ratios during 2012. In VIG's case, the company has responded to the generally difficult conditions by restructuring its portfolio of business and its non-life operations in Romania. In the non-life segment, Omniasig and BCR now operate as a single entity under the Omniasig VIG brand.
Life premiums held up well in 2012 as well. In essence, the growth in premiums from traditional insurance products (including annuities) offset a contraction in sales of unit-linked products. Our conclusion is that life insurance is reasonably firmly entrenched as a conduit for organised savings where households can afford to buy it. However, for much of 2012 and early 2013, savers and investors have been fairly risk averse at a time of difficult economic conditions and generally volatile financial markets.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Table: Total Premiums, 2010-2017
- Business Environment
- Table: Total Life Premiums 2010-2017
- Non Life
- Table: Total Non-Life Premiums 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Central and Eastern European Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Romania Insurance Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Romania Insurance Risk/Reward Rating
- Life Sector Update
- Non Life Sector Update
Industry Trends And Developments
- Life Growth Drivers and Risk Management Projections
- Table: Insurance Key Drivers, Demographics, 2010-2017
- Non Life Growth Drivers and Risk Management Projections
- Macroeconomic Outlook
- Political Stability Outlook
- Table: Europe Regional Security Ratings (scores out of 100, with 100 the best)
- Healthcare System
- Private Healthcare Provision
- Table: Insurance Key Drivers, Disease Adjusted Life Years, 2010-2017
- Table: Insurance Key Drivers, Autos, 2010-2017
- Central And Eastern Europe Competitive Landscape
- UNIQA Group
- Vienna Insurance Group
- Central And Eastern Europe Life Sector Overview
- Table: Central And Eastern European Life Premiums, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Central And Eastern Europe Non Life Sector Overview
- Table: Central And Eastern European Non-Life Premiums, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Table: Romania's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Romania's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Romania's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Romania's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Insurance Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Insurance Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators And Rationale
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.