2013-09-15 09:28:29 - New Energy market report from Business Monitor International: "Hungary Petrochemicals Report Q4 2013"
Hungarian petrochemicals output will struggle with poor market conditions, but following a 23% drop in olefins and polyolefins production in 2012 it should see a modest improvement, according to BMI forecasts. However, the industry is far from a recovery and it could be at least two years before it approaches pre-recession production levels. Diversification of production in isocyanates and butadiene should enable Hungarian petrochemicals producers to capitalise on the country's position as a production centre for the European automotives industry.
The first five months of 2013 witnessed average chemicals output growth of 9.6%, while plastic and rubber production declined by an average of 4.0%. The Hungarian manufacturing sector as a whole reported a contraction of 0.8%, indicating that while chemicals performed
far better than most other industrial sectors, plastics and rubber were under severe pressure. This downward trend was also noted in output figures by Hungarian petrochemicals producer MOL which reported a 33.3% drop in low-density polyethylene (LDPE) output, in large part due to the closure of an LDPE line since October 2012, as well as a 5.5% drop in polypropylene (PP). However, in the high-density polyethylene (HDPE) segment, which represented 37% of polymers output, production increased 3.4% year-on-year.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/671009_hungary_petrochemicals_report_q4_2013 ..
TVK's 65,000 tonnes per annum (tpa) LDPE No.2 installation in Tiszaujvaros remained out of action in H113 following a fire that broke out at the plant in October 2012. The company stated that the plant was continuing with reconstruction, but the start-up schedule had yet to be decided. This will weigh on petrochemicals output in 2013.
BMI has revised the following forecasts/views:
* In terms of demand, we do not see any scope for a rebound in 2013 with -0.5% growth in construction and 0.7% growth in vehicle production. As such, the export market will need to generate the growth that will power a recovery in the Hungarian petrochemicals industry.
* Although the trends in the petrochemicals industry were poor in Q113, output levels were still higher than in much of 2012. With the likely resumption of production at MOL subsidiary TVK's temporarily closed 65,000tpa LDPE plant, we continue to forecast modest growth in 2013, albeit with significant downside risks and still at historically low levels.
* In BMI's Europe Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Ratings, Hungary scores 58.0 points out of 100, unchanged since the previous quarter. It lies in 10th place, 0.7 points behind the Czech Republic and 7.5 points ahead of Slovakia.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Hungary's Petrochemical Industry, 2010-2017 ('000tpa, unless otherwise stated)
- Macroeconomic Forecast
- Table: Hungary - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Hungary Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Ratings
- European Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: European Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Ratings (Scores Out Of 100)
Industry Trends And Developments
- Magyar Olaj-es Gazipari (MOL)
- Europe Overview
- Short-Term Outlook: Competitiveness And Pricing
- Looking Beyond Europe
- Shale Gas Boom To Change European Petrochemicals Outlook?
Global Industry Overview
- Global Industry Overview
- Short-term outlook: Prices Stabilising & Margins Improving
- Long-term growth
- Shale: The Future of Feedstock?
- Global Oil Product Price Outlook
- Crude Price Forecasts
- Table: BMI's Oil Price Forecasts, Average Price (US$/bbl)
- Product Prices Move Back Up But No Spikes Expected
- Narrower US Market Crude-Product Spreads
- Weak Demand Persists
- Table: BMI's Refined Products Forecasts, US$/bbl
- Supply: Supported By Global Refining Capacity
- Naphtha: Gas Renaissance Hits Demand
- Gasoline And Gasoil/Diesel: Subsidies & Fuel Efficiency Cap Upward Movement
- Jet Fuel: Slump Restricts Upward Movement
- Table: Total Air Freight And Passenger Volumes
- Bunker Fuels: No Rest To Downward Movement In Sight
- Table: Hungary's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Hungary's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Hungary's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Hungary's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Glossary Of Petrochemicals Terms
- Chemicals And Petrochemicals Industry
- Cross Checks
- Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Indicators And Rationale
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.