2013-12-10 13:14:15 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Philippines Telecommunications Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
The Philippines telecoms market is somewhat limited by low consumer incomes. However, with large subscription growth opportunities, operators continue to grow rapidly, as their strategies remain focused on building subscriber bases. Over the medium term, we believe that operators may face difficulties transitioning to strategies that focus on increasing revenues from new services, such as fibre and LTE broadband. There is still growth potential, with penetration only just over 100%, leaving operators some time before pressure will build on their existing strategies. An additional factor which should insulate operator financial performance is that the shared ownership of two of the market's operators has yet to have a negative impact on pricing for subscribers. However, BMI sees the potential for long-term
implications from reduced competition.
* Strong mobile subscription growth occurred in H113, resulting in an upwards revision to our forecasts. We now expect a total of 112.388mn mobile subscriptions by YE13.
* The number of fixed-line subscribers could be experiencing a sustained period of contraction due to mobile substitution. We forecast 3.78mn subscribers by end-2017, representing a 3.6% penetration rate.
* Despite the mobile market effectively being a duopoly, mobile ARPUs continue to trend lower. Without a concerted effort to move towards higher revenue-generating products and subscribers, operator ARPU will continue to fall.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723608_philippines_telecommunications_report ..
Key Trends And Developments
Existing mobile operators face several challenges over the short-to-medium term. In September 2013, the Mobile Phone Subscriber Protection Act was filed, which seeks the introduction of minimum standards for the quality of mobile phone services and the monitoring of complaints. Meanwhile, they will also face additional competition, after ABS-CBN Corporation reached a deal with Globe Telecom to offer services over the latter's network. The newcomer plans to offer mobile TV services in addition to regular mobile services. New legislation and competition will ensure that established operators continue investment and innovating with services.
In H113, leading operators PLDT and Globe continued their investment in core infrastructure to support future growth. For instance, in August 2013, PLDT completed a fibre-optic expansion project worth PHP2.5bn (US$57.4mn) for supporting the launch of ultra-high speed internet services for its fixed and mobile networks. The operator deployed more than 5,000km of optical fibre cables in H113, thereby enabling its total fibre assets to reach more than 71,000km. Meanwhile, the South-East Asia Japan Cable, in which Globe is an investor, was launched in September 2013. Globe Telecom claimed the US$400mn system would boost ICT and business process outsourcing industries in Philippines.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - ARPU - Historical Data And Forecasts, (PHP)
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Broadband - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings - Q114
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Philippines Mobile Market Regional Comparison, 2012
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Market Share
- Table: Philippines Mobile Market Net Additions, 2011-2013 ('000)
- Table: Mobile Operators Prepaid And Postpaid APRU (PHP)
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: The Philippines Market Overview
- Table: Smart Communications
- Table: Globe Telecom
- Table: Sun Cellular (acquired by PLDT)
- Asia Pacific Mobile Content
- Tablets Are The New TV
- Table: Percentage Of Long-Form Video Views By Device
- Infrastructure Is A Key Enabler
- Fixed Line
- Table: PLDT Fixed-Line Revenue Breakdown (PHPmn)
- Table: Major Broadband Operator Subscriber Figures ('000)
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Telecoms Market Developments
- Regulatory Overview
- Table: Philippines - Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Table: Regulatory Developments
- Table: Key Players
- Table: Selected Operator Revenues (US$mn)
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company
- Smart Communications
- Globe Telecom
- Digital Telecommunications Philippines
- The Phenomenal Rise of Alibaba
- Favourable Macro Conditions
- Supportive Industry Trends
- Alibaba Has Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- Table: Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.