2013-02-03 08:24:10 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Cambodia Power Report Q1 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI View: The major players in Asian power supply are clamouring to invest in Cambodia, with the result that huge capacity expansion can be expected from around 2015, as hydro, gas and coal-based schemes are introduced. This should leave the country with plentiful spare generation, even if annual electricity consumption grows at an average rate of 13.2% per annum over our 10-year forecast period to 2021. Neighbouring Vietnam, which will finance a number of power projects, plans to make good use of Cambodia's potential export capability, as does Thailand if a major coal-fired scheme comes to fruition.
Hydropower expansion is already under way and there is a long queue of potential projects with strong regional backing. Several are set to proceed,
with a surge in hydro-based supply likely from around 2016. Domestic gas resources could contribute additional capacity, while the utilisation of renewables is set to rise rapidly from a low base. New coal-fired stations are also in the planning stage, with Cambodia open to the long-term possibility of nuclear energy.
Full Report Details at
Key trends and developments in the Cambodian electricity market:
* Cambodia's Royal Group and China's Hydrolancang were given the go-ahead in November 2012 to commence construction on the Lower Se San 2 hydropwer plant. The design and construction of the project will see electricity exported to Vietnam. The project is expected to be completed in 5 years, in the latter stages of 2017.
* During the period 2012-2021, Cambodia's overall power generation is expected to increase by an annual average of 24.0%, reaching 10.7TWh. Driving this growth is a new gas-fired scheme that is in the pipeline and should enter service during the forecast period, as well as a massive hydropower expansion programme that includes several dams with capacities exceeding 100MW.
* Following anticipated real GDP growth of 4.8% in 2012, BMI forecasts average annual growth of 6.6% between 2012 and 2021. The population is expected to rise from the 2012 level of 14.5mn to 16.1mn during the period to 2021, and net power consumption looks set to increase from 2.49TWh in 2012 to 7.69TWh by 2021. During the period 2012-2021, the average annual growth rate for electricity demand is forecast at 13.2%.
Report Table of Contents:
- Cambodia Power SWOT
Regional Industry Overview
- Table: Vietnam's Power Development Roadmap
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Cambodia Snapshot (Macro)
- Table: Country Snapshot: Economic and Demographic Data
- Table: Country Snapshot: Power Sector
- Cambodia Forecast Scenario
- Electricity Generation and Power Generating Capacity
- Table: Cambodia Total Electricity Generation Data And Forecasts, 2010 - 2017
- Table: Cambodia Total Electricity Generation Long Term Forecasts, 2014 - 2021
- Table: Cambodia Electricity Generating Capacity Data And Forecasts, 2010 - 2017
- Table: Cambodia Electricity Generating Capacity Long Term Forecasts, 2014 - 2021
- Electricity Consumption
- Table: Cambodia Total Electricity Consumption Data And Forecasts, 2010 - 2017
- Table: Cambodia Total Electricity Consumption Long Term Forecasts, 2014 - 2021
- Transmission & Distribution, Imports & Exports
- Table: Cambodia Electric Power Transmission And Distribution Losses Data And Forecasts, 2010 - 2017
- Table: Cambodia Electric Power Transmission And Distribution Losses Long Term Forecasts, 2014 - 2021
- Table: Cambodia Trade Data And Forecasts, 2010 - 2017
- Table: Cambodia Trade Long Term Forecasts, 2014 - 2021
Key Policies/Market Structure
- Regulation and Competition
- Key Projects Database
- Table: Cambodia Major Projects - Power
Power Risk/Reward Ratings
- Asia Regional Power Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Power Risk/Reward Ratings
- Cambodia's Power Risk/Reward Ratings
Competitive Landscape/Company Monitor
Glossary of Terms
- Table: Glossary of Terms
Methodology And Sources
- Industry Forecasts
- Power Industry - Data Methodology
- Generation and Consumption Data
- Electricity Generation Capacity Data
- Power Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Table: Power Risk/Reward Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.