2013-01-31 08:58:05 - New Consumer Goods market report from Business Monitor International: "Israel Consumer Electronics Report Q1 2013"
BMI View: We project that Israeli consumer electronics spending will grow by about 5% in US dollar terms in 2013 to US$3.7bn, with our previous forecast being downwardly adjusted owing to a deteriorating economic outlook. In 2013, several indicators suggest moderating consumer demand, and the government's policies will be less supportive of private consumption, with parliament having approved in August 2012 a package of austerity laws. However, sales of mobile phones received a boost from a new law that liberalises mobile phone import. Consumer spending should also be supported by stimulatory fiscal spending, as well as falling unemployment and low inflation and interest rates. Across our five-year forecast period, a growing population and rising computer and internet penetration will drive
consumer electronics demand growth, along with new technologies and products such as tablets, smartphones, higher capability netbooks and 3D TV sets.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/529371_israel_consumer_electronics_report_q1 ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Computer Hardware Sales: US$2.5bn in 2011 to US$2.6bn in 2012, +3% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to macroeconomic factors, but Israeli businesses are investing more to facilitate expansion and development.
* AV Sales: US$503mn in 2012 to US$553mn in 2013, +6% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flatscreen TV sets expected to provide the most dynamic development.
* Handset Sales: US$373mn in 2012 to US$415mn in 2013, +11% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with smartphones the main category driver and growth opportunity.
Israel's score was 57.2 out of 100.0, in third place in our latest Middle East and Africa (MEA) consumer electronics risk/reward rating (RRR) table. BMI expects rising penetration of consumer electronics devices such as smartphones and flatscreen TV sets, but the external economic environment will constrain demand.
Key Trends & Developments
* The Israeli AV market will continue to be driven by the migration to digital broadcasting, which will fuel consumer upgrades to flatscreen TV sets. Israel is on course to become the first country in the MEA region to reach 100% household digital TV penetration. Israel approved the launch of digital TV services in 2008 and subsidies covering half the cost of the set-top box are available to some groups. In 2012, demand for flatscreen TV sets continued to rise and the emergence of 3D TV has prompted a mini-resurgence in sales of plasma TV sets.
* The Israeli government has launched various initiatives to increase computer and internet penetration. The current rate of PC penetration, while high for the region, offers the potential for organic growth. Household penetration is estimated at around 75%. Israel has around 600,000 children living below the poverty line and only 3% have internet or home PC access, compared with 90% in the top income group. In 2012, the Knesset Economic Affairs Committee passed a plan to relax restrictions on importing mobile phones. Previously cellular phone operators dominated the application process for import approval, and controlled about 80% of phone sales in Israel. The new law should increase the range of handsets available by making it possible for firms to import any cell phone that is approved in the EU or the US. By weakening the link between the purchase of a mobile phone and purchase of a cellular phone service, the new regime is also expected to lower mobile phone prices.
Report Table of Contents:
- Israel Consumer Electronics Market SWOT
- Israel Political SWOT
- Israel Economic SWOT
- Israel Business Environment SWOT
Middle East and Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Middle East And Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Israel Distributors For Leading Brands
- Table: PC Sales, 2010-2017
- AV Devices
- Table: Exports, 2010-2017
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Communications, 2010-2017
- Table: Israel Cellular Operators And Technology
Consumer Electronics Industry
- Table: ICT Overview, 2010-2017
- Table: Exports, 2010-2017
- Table: Manufacturing, 2010-2017
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview (US$mn), 2010-2017
- Table: Israel - Economic Activity, 2011-2016
- AV Devices
- Mobile Handsets
- Scailex Corporation
- Table: Israel's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Israel's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Israel's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Israel's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.