2014-01-03 11:04:12 - New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014"
Malaysia's healthcare and pharmaceuticals market is posting strong growth, and the government's budget allocation for the health sector for 2014 confirms our optimistic view of the sector. The government plans to expand and upgrade its hospital network, increase the number of clinics and -controversially - abolish the sugar subsidy. This final move has been met with criticism, but is an importantstep towards dealing with rising levels of obesity and diabetes in the country. Malaysia's private sector is also posting robust growth, with foreign investment in private hospitals and healthcare centres catering to the growing medical tourism market. Challenges include the changing burden of diseases - as Malaysia's middle class expands - and having sufficient numbers of healthcare personnel to staff
new hospitals and clinics. Headline Expenditure Projections
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754750_malaysia_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_r ..
* Pharmaceuticals: MYR6.06bn (US$1.96bn) in 2012 to MYR6.66bn (US$2.18bn) in 2013; +10.0% in local currency and +11.2% in US dollars. Forecast increased in light of new budgetary data for 2014.
* Healthcare: MYR34.66bn (US$11.22bn) in 2012 to MYR38.14bn (US$12.49bn) in 2013; +10.0% in local currency and +11.3% in US dollars. Forecast raised from Q413 due to the release of the 2014 budget.
Risk/Reward Rating: In Q114, Malaysia's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) stood at 60. It posts above-average scores for every indicator in the Asia Pacific region, and ranks eighth out of 19 markets.
Key Trends And Developments
* In November 2013, Malaysia's government announced its 2014 budget. Healthcare spending will total MYR264.2bn (US$195bn), or 8.4% of the total budget. This marks a 14.5% increase on 2013.
* Private healthcare providers continue to bolster their presence in Malaysia, with BP Healthcare group announcing in September 2013 that it plans to expand its referral programme, while in October 2013 Ramsay Sime Darby Health Care announced plans to expand its hospital network in the country.
* As negotiations on the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement continue, Malaysia's Prime Minister said in October 2013 that he would order two more cost-benefit studies on the benefits that the TPPA would bring to small firms and Malaysia's national interest before opening the matter up to further debate. Issues such as intellectual property rights - which affect the pharmaceuticals industry - are key sticking points.
BMI Economic View: Malaysia rose two places in the World Bank's 2014 Doing Business Report, rising from eighth to sixth place globally, out of the 189 countries reviewed. This figure illustrates the ongoing improvements in the business environment and we expect foreign direct investment (FDI) to continue strongly in the short term.
BMI Political View: Partly elections in October 2013 generated a clear victory for Prime Minister Najib Razak's political allies. As such, we believe this marks the start of a period of political continuity. Another issue that is highly political is negotiation over the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement. Observers now doubt that a deal will be signed in Malaysia before the end of 2013.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceuticals Market Forecast
- Table: Malaysia Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Indicators, 2009-2017
- Table: Healthcare Governmental Indicators 2009-2017
- Table: Healthcare Private Indicators 2009-2017
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Prescription Drug Sales Indicators 2009-2017
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators 2009-2017
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Drug Sales Indicators 2009-2017
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Sales Indicators 2009-2017
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Exports And Imports Indicators 2009-2017
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Table: Malaysia - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
- Malaysia Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Table: 2011 Entry Points Projects Summary
- Healthcare Insurance
- Table: Main Features Of 1Care
- Healthcare Funding
- Healthcare Sector Developments
- Table: Public Sector And Private Sector Healthcare Developments
- Medical Tourism
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Regulatory Regime
- Table: Drug Applications by Type, 2002-10
- Table: Registered Pharmaceutical Products by Type, 2002-10
- Regulatory Developments
- Intellectual Property Issues
- Pricing Regime
- Domestic Industry
- Foreign Industry
- Table: Leading Malaysian Pharmaceutical And Healthcare Companies
- Culture-Specific Medicines
- Pharmaceutical Distribution
- Table: Drug Wholesalers & Importers, 2002-2010
- Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
- Kotra Pharma
- Prime Pharmaceutical
- Chemical Company Of Malaysia
- Merck & Co
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.