2013-09-17 09:10:16 - New Transportation market report from Business Monitor International: "Philippines Shipping Report Q4 2013"
Manila International Container Terminal (MICT) is set to hold the top position in Philippines' maritime sector in terms of container throughput and is expected to post another year of growth in 2013, following three years of increasing volumes in 2010-2012.
Both total tonnage and box throughput are expected to increase at one of the country's largest ports Cebu in 2013.
Over the medium term we project further growth both at the MICT and Cebu.
Headline Industry Data
* 2013 port of Cebu tonnage throughput forecast to grow 5%, over the medium term we project a 21% increase.
* 2013 MICT container throughput forecast to grow 6%, over the medium term we project a 37% increase.
* 2013 total trade growth forecast at 2.50%.
Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/684680_philippines_shipping_report_q4_2013.a ..
Key Industry Trends
Pipes to Boost Subic Bay's Volumes
Subic Bay port's volume will receive a boost, having secured Chinese metal pipe manufacturer as a client. The Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) and HLD Clark Steel Pipe Co. Inc. have reached an agreement, according to which the latter will use the New Container Terminal-1 (NCT-1) to ship its exports.
Harbor Star Defers Floatation
Philippines-based tugboat operator Harbor Star Shipping Services Inc. has deferred PHP593mn initial public offering (IPO) to September, quoting volatility in the stock market. The company's offering period was originally scheduled for July
Risks to Outlook
The strong base for growth at the country's ports stems from BMI's positive outlook for the Philippines' economy. Following an estimated growth by 6.8% in 2012, we forecast the Philippine GDP to expand by 5.9% in 2013. Leading the way forward, we expect the country's nascent investment boom to power forward on the back of strong domestic fundamentals, but note that external headwinds continue to pose a risk.
Growth slowdowns in both China and Japan, to which the Philippines is heavily exposed in both investment and trade terms, could undermine the country's strong domestic growth story and port volumes should they become more acute than expected.
As Philippines plays a considerable role in the global electronics supply chain exporting components to Japan's electronics market, with Japan being the Philippines' largest export partner, container volumes at the country's ports might be affected.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Philippines - Q4 2013
- Philippines Shipping SWOT
- Business Environment
- Manila International Container Terminal Throughput
- Port of Cebu Throughput
- Table: Major Port Data
- Table: Trade Overview
- Table: Key Trade Indicators
- Table: Top Import Destinations, 2004-2011
- Table: Top Export Destinations, 2004-2011
- Philippines Container Shipping Market Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
- Philippines - Q4 2013
- International Container Terminal Services, Inc (ICTSI) - Q4 2013
- MCC Transport - Q4 2013
Shipping - Global Industry View
- Box Supply: Overcapacity Remains, But ETRs Offer Hope
- Table: Q213 Container Vessel Deliveries
- Table: Container Line Mega Vessel Newbuild Plans
- Table: Q213 New Container Ship Orders
- Box Rates: Tough 2013, ETRs Remain The Ones To Watch
- Table: 2012 & 2013 SCFI Europe Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
- Table: 2012 & 2013 SCFI USWC Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
- Box Demand: Static Outlook Continues, But 2014 Looks Brighter
Global Company Strategy
- Maersk Line
- Mediterranean Shipping Company
- CMA CGM
- Evergreen Line
- COSCO Container Lines Company
- Economic Analysis
- Investment Boom On Course
- Fundamentals In Place For Medium-Term Growth Pick-Up
- Table: Philippines - Economic Activity
- Table: Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Philippines' Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Philippines' Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.