2013-12-25 22:16:23 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Philippines Shipping Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Manila International Container Terminal (MICT) is set to hold the top position in Philippines's maritime sector in terms of container throughput in 2014, with both total tonnage and box volumes expected to grow for the fifth year in a row.
Another year of steady growth is also expected at Cebu, one of Philippines' largest ports in terms of total throughput.
Over the medium term we project further growth at both the MICT and the port of Cebu.
Headline Industry Data
* 2014 port of Cebu tonnage throughput forecast to grow 3.3%, over the medium term we project a 20% increase.
* 2014 MICT container throughput forecast to grow 6.9%, over the medium term we project a 37% increase.
* 2014 total trade real
growth forecast at 5.75%.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754629_philippines_shipping_report_q1_2014.a ..
Key Industry Trends
New Terminal Will Boost Weak Philippine Port Infrastructure: International Container Terminal Services Inc (ICTSI)'s development of a new terminal at the port of Tagum in the Philippines represents much needed investment in the country's maritime sector. The Philippines suffers from poor infrastructure and congestion at its ports, which means that the country's neighbours have outpaced it in terms of throughput growth and are now better positioned to benefit from the developing intra-Asia shipping market.
We view this development as a positive step toward the Philippines' maritime sector realising its potential. MNHPI Invests PHP9bn in Harbour Facility's Expansion: Philippine port operator Manila North Harbour (MNHPI) has so far spent PHP9bn (US$209.1mn) on the expansion of the harbour's facility. The operator has invested PHP4bn (US$92mn) in the harbour's development and has assigned PHP5bn (US $115mn) for further initiatives.
Risks to Outlook
The strong base for growth at the country's ports stems from BMI's positive outlook for the Philippines' economy. Following an estimated growth by 6.9% in 2013, we forecast the Philippine GDP to expand by 6.0% in 2014. Leading the way forward, we expect the country's nascent investment boom and private consumption to power forward on the back of strong domestic fundamentals, but note that external headwinds continue to pose a risk.
Growth slowdowns in both China and Japan, to which the Philippines is heavily exposed in both investment and trade terms, could undermine the country's strong domestic growth story and port volumes should they become more acute than expected.
As Philippines plays a considerable role in the global electronics supply chain exporting components to Japan's electronics market, with the country being the Philippines' largest export partner, container volumes at the country's ports might be affected
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Manila International Container Terminal Throughput
- Port Of Cebu Throughput
- Table: Major Port Data
- Table: Trade Overview
- Table: Key Trade Indicators
- Table: Top Import Partners, 2004-2011
- Table: Top Export Destinations, 2004-2011
- Philippines Container Shipping Market Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
- International Container Terminal Services, Inc (ICTSI) - Q1 2014
- MCC Transport - Q1 2014
Shipping - Global Industry View
- Box Demand: Container Outlook Strengthening In 2014
- Box Supply: Slowing New Vessel Deliveries To Decrease Overcapacity Pressure
- Table: Q313 Container Vessel Deliveries
- Table: 2013 Mega Vessel Orders
- Box Rates: Rate Push In Preparation For 2014
- Table: 2012 & 2013 SCFI Europe Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
- Table: 2012 & 2013 SCFI USWC Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
Global Company Strategy
- Maersk Line
- Mediterranean Shipping Company
- CMA CGM
- Evergreen Line
- COSCO Container Lines Company
- Economic Analysis
- External Malaise A Drag, But Support Seen In Remittances
- Investment Boom On Solid Footing
- GDP Upgrade Well Deserved, But Watch Out For Risks
- Expenditure Breakdown
- Table: Philippines - Economic Activity
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: The Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: The Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: The Philippines' Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: The Philippines' Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.