2013-03-21 13:37:40 - New Transportation research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Oman continues to develop itself into a regional powerhouse for the shipping and transhipment of dry bulk goods such as iron ore. To this end a new port is being constructed at Duqm and new cargo terminals at Salalah and Sohar. The new Duqm port will also boast a new oil refinery. Further port developments include the announcement that all cargo operations are to be moved from the Muscat port of Sultan Qaboos to Sohar by 2013. All of this is aided by Oman's position on the Arabian Sea, outside the Persian Gulf, enabling it to offer shorter shipping lines than ports within the congested body of water. On the macroeconomic side growth in the Omani ports sector will be
supported by an expanding GDP and rising private consumption.
Headline Industry Data
* 2013 container throughput at Salalah forecast to reach 3.90mn twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) on growth of 5.5%, and to average 6.4% growth to 2017.
* 2013 total tonnage throughput at Sohar forecast to reach 59.31mn tonnes, an expansion of 35.0% as commercial operations are transferred from the Port of Sultan Qaboos at Muscat.
* 2013 Oman total trade real forecast at 3.8%, and to average 1.6% per annum to 2017.
Full Report Details at
Key Industry Trends
New Agribusiness Terminal Offers Upside To Sohar Forecasts
BMI sees potential for significant growth at the Omani Port of Sohar in the coming years. The facility is certain to see a massive hike in its throughput in 2013 as commercial operations at the Port of Sultan Qaboos at Muscat are transferred there, but we believe there is also scope for healthy growth over the medium term due to a raft of investments being made in new facilities. The most recently announced of these is a new agri-bulk terminal, which will be a key component of Oman's food security programme.
Sohar Port To Construct New Container Terminal
Hong Kong-based container-terminal operator Hutchinson Whampoa has entered into an agreement to develop a new container terminal for Oman International Container Terminal at Sohar. The new terminal will spread over an area of 70 hectares and will increase capacity from 800,000 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) to 1,500,000 TEUs.
Sohar Port Plans To Construct New Liquid Jetty
The Omani Port of Sohar intends to construct a new liquid jetty due to an expected increase in liquid cargoes handled at the port. The jetty will be able to handle product tankers of up to 120,000 deadweight tonnes. The jetty's detailed design and start of tender process for its construction are expected to be finalised by H213.
Key Risks To Outlook
There are considerable risks to our outlook for Omani maritime ports. The continued development of their dry bulk capabilities leaves it hard to project by just how much total tonnage throughput will expand at the facilities of Sohar and Salalah in the coming years. 2011's throughput growth of 139.4% at Sohar is indicative of this. Equally the 7.0% contraction in box volumes at Salalah in 2011 demonstrates how the port's transhipment business is subject to the vagaries of the global macroeconomic climate. Further complications arise from the closure of the Port of Sultan Qaboos in Muscat as a commercial shipping port, and the move of its operations to Sohar in 2013.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Port of Sohar Throughput
- Port of Salalah Throughput
- Table: Major Port Data, 2010-2017
- Table: Trade Overview, 2010-2017
- Table: Key Trade Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: Main Export Partners (US$mn)
- Table: Main Import Partners (US$mn)
- Oman Container Shipping Market Overview
- Oman Dry Bulk Shipping Market Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
- Oman Shipping Company (OSC)
Global Industry Overview - Container Shipping
- Demand: Global Box Outlook Brightening
- Supply: Overcapacity To Remain As More Megas Saturate The Market
- Table: Container Line Mega-Vessel Newbuild Plans
- Rates: A Strong Start, But Rate Management Must Continue
- Table: 2012 SCFI Europe Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
- Table: 2012 SCFI USWC Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview
Global Industry Overview - Dry Bulk Shipping
- Demand: Stimulus Blip Playing Out, Bit For How Long?
- Supply: Dry Bulk Fleet growth Slipping, But Overcapacity Still A Problem
- Table: China Iron Ore Trade Partners Overview
- Table: China Coal Trade Partners Overview
Global Industry Overview - Liquid Bulk Shipping
- Improving Fundamentals In Dirty Tanker Market
- Tonne-Mile Growth To Support Product Tanker Sector
- LNG Boom To Stall In 2013
Global Company Strategy
- Maersk Line
- Mediterranean Shipping Company
- CMA CGM
- Evergreen Line
- COSCO Container Lines Company
- Hanjin Shipping
- China Shipping Container Line (CSCL)
- Mitsui OSK Lines
- Table: Oman - Gdp By Expenditure, Current Prices Breakdown
- Table: Oman's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Oman's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Oman's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Oman's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.