2013-10-30 13:25:41 - Fast Market Research recommends "Pakistan Consumer Electronics Report Q4 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI expects Pakistan's consumer electronics market will grow by around 9% in 2013. The trading environment looks favourable for faster growth in spending on AV items in 2013. Private consumption growth returned to a higher trajectory, with a growth rate of 11.6% achieved in FY2011/12. Encouragingly, private sector credit growth as also recovered from its recent trough, reaching an 18-month high of 4.1% year-on-year as of May 2013. This growth potential has also been affirmed by expanded investment plans by multinational consumer electronics market leaders such as LG. Despite this potential, the Pakistani consumer electronics market is constrained by a large grey market, poor IP protection, an unstable economic and security situation, and weak distribution channels. Reforming high national and
provincial taxes and tariffs on products ranging from computers to prepaid mobile cards would boost the market. The long-term market drivers include a rising population and growing affordability. Demand for consumer electronics goods is also influenced by trends in Middle Eastern markets.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/698096_pakistan_consumer_electronics_report_ ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer Sales: US$350mn in 2012 to US$372mn in 2013, +6% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised, thanks to an expected upturn in the commercial PC market.
AV Sales: US$711mn in 2012 to US$782mn in 2013, +10% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with cheaper IPTV services helping to drive demand for flat-screen TV sets.
Handset Sales: US$800mn in 2012 to US$857mn in 2013, +7% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar downwardly revised but the revived prospect of an eventual 3G mobile service launch could boost demand for smartphones.
Risk/Reward Rating: Pakistan scores 31.8 out of 100, with low Industry Rewards and Country Structure ratings dragging down high potential returns. Pakistan takes 13th and last place in our latest Asia Risk/ Reward Ratings table, but has the potential to rise over time, given the size of its market.
Key Trends And Developments
* The TV sets segment is forecast to experience a compound annual growth rate of about 12% as consumers replace black and white and analogue sets with colour and LCD models. About 49% of TV sets sold each year are still black and white. If the government is unable to crack down on smuggled goods, growth could be slower than this.
* PC vendors must contend with a significant segment of demand being met by imports of used computers from countries such as China. The government has denied reports it plans to ban imports of used computers, which is a measure strongly opposed by local retailers. The price differential between an imported second-hand computer and a new one is considerable, according to local importers.
* A new import tax on handsets, introduced by the Pakistan government in April 2013, led to immediate increases in the prices of some phones, and is expected to boost demand for less expensive Chinese imports. Low-cost Chinese phones are understood to account for around 30% of the local handset market.
According to retailer reports, although the government's ban on imported handsets without IMEI numbers hit sales of low-cost Chinese handsets, China reacted quickly to the new circumstances. Established vendors are targeting the low-price tier with products offering dual-SIM support and other features that have been popular for the low-cost brands.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Consumer Electronics Market
- Electronics Market
- Business Environment
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Economic Analysis
- Table: Pakistan - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia-Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Computer Demand, 2010-2017
- AV Devices
- Table: AV Demand, 2010-2017
- Mobile Devices
- Table: Mobile Handset Demand, 2010-2017
- Mobile Handsets
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Electronics Output, 2010-2017
- Table: AV Production, 2010-2017
- Inbox Business Technologies
- Table: Pakistan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Pakistan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Pakistan's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Pakistan's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.