2013-08-21 09:11:22 - New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "Pakistan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2013"
It is vital that the Pakistani government enforces regulations to ensure the rational prescription, dispensing and consumption of medicines. While on one hand medicine affordability levels are low, a study highlighting irrational drug use in the country is a cause for concern. As hospitals and doctors continue to be the primary access point to healthcare, and as access to medical services and pharmaceuticals improves over time, it is important that both public and private resources are directed towards the consumption of appropriate medicine regimens.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: PKR189.21bn (US$2.03bn) in 2012 to PRK209.55bn (US2.10bn) in 2013; +10.8% in local currency terms and +3.9% in US dollar terms.
* Healthcare: PKR521.91bn (US$5.59bn) in 2012 to PKR591.03bn (US$5.94bn) in 2013; +13.2%
in local currency terms and +6.2% in US dollar terms.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/670583_pakistan_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_r ..
Risk/Reward Ratings: We continue to expect improving healthcare provision in Asia Pacific to bring opportunities for pharmaceutical and medical devices players due to a wider pool of patients. However, the success of these healthcare services depends on its implementation and subsequent monitoring. We highlight that not all countries will be able to succeed in their quest for better healthcare due to poor governance. Aligning with this, in BMI's Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) for Q413, Pakistan has maintained its poor rank of 15th out of the 19 markets in the regional matrix. Pakistan ranks below the regional averages for both composite Risk and Reward figures, in spite of its large and growing population.
Key Trends & Developments
* In June 2013, the Pakistan Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association (PPMA) demanded the government immediately make the Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP) a functional body and to appoint its chief on a permanent basis. The PPMA claims the pharmaceutical industry is facing hardships in delivering affordable and life-saving drugs to patients, which has resulted in a shortage of medicines.
* In June 2013, Bayer HealthCare Pakistan organised a symposium to raise awareness of stroke and atrial fibrillation. At the same time the company launched Xarelto in Pakistan.
BMI Economic View: Contrary to our expectations, the Pakistani economy witnessed a marked slowdown in growth last fiscal year (FY2012/13 [July-June]). Nonetheless, going forward, we cannot ignore the gradual build-up in economic momentum through FY2012/13, and the strong tailwinds that are in play (such as a more sustainable fiscal policy). As such, we project full-year real GDP growth to rebound to 4.0% this fiscal year, from 3.6% in FY2012/13. To be sure, we do not believe that the government's 4.4% projection is within reach, given the lingering difficulties posed by the energy crisis and the still-poor security environment.
BMI Political View: In the grand scheme of things, the 2013 general elections were an historic milestone for Pakistan as political power was transferred peacefully from one democratically elected government to another. The country's slowly growing acceptance of constitutional democracy and the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N)'s strong showing in the polls have persuaded us to upwardly revise our perception of political risk..
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Table: Pakistan Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Table: Pakistan Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Generics Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- OTC Medicines Market Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Pakistan Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Table: Pakistan - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings
- Pakistan Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Infrastructure
- Table: Healthcare Facilities, 2001-2009
- Table: Beds by Healthcare Facility, 2001-2009
- Healthcare Insurance
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Regulatory Regime
- Regulatory Developments
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Domestic Pharmaceutical Industry
- Table: Members
- Foreign Pharmaceutical Industry
- Recent Pharmaceutical Sector Developments
- Pharmaceutical Distribution
- Searle Pakistan Limited
- Hilton Pharma
- Efroze Chemical Industries
- Ferozsons Laboratories
- Getz Pharma
- Pacific Pharmaceuticals
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.