2012-06-27 08:43:30 - New Consumer Goods market report from Business Monitor International: "Peru Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012"
Peruvian sales of consumer electronics devices are forecast to grow 14% in 2012, with many of the trends that drove consumer electronics spending in 2011expected to continue in 2012. BMI believes that the Peruvian market has robust growth potential, particularly following the long-awaited ratification of the US-Peru Free Trade Agreement (FTA) in December 2011. Government-backed affordable computer programmes comprised an important market component. The implementation of digital TV broadcasting will drive demand for flat-screen TV sets. More competition in the mobile telecoms sector and expansion in rural areas should boost the mobile handset segment.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer sales: US$738mn in 2011 to US$822mn in 2012, +11.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms up due to macroeconomic factors, with
most growth driven by consumer notebooks. AV sales: US$833mn in 2011 to US$912mn in 2012, +9% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flat-screen TV sets expected to provide the most dynamic development. Handset sales: US$466mn in 2011 to US$533mn in 2012, +14% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged with smartphones the main driver, after imports rose 80% in 2011.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/404285_peru_consumer_electronics_report_q3_2 ..
Risk/Reward Ratings: Peru's score was 45.3 out of 100.0 with an Industry Rewards score of 36.7 being the lowest among its peer group. Peru is ahead of Argentina and Venezuela in our ratings . BMI expects rising penetration of consumer electronics devices such as smartphones and flat-screen TV sets.
Key Trends & Developments
* BMI expects spending on electronic lifestyle products such as flat-screen TV sets and smartphones to continue to rise in 2012 as the availability of credit improves across Peru. Private sector credit growth picked up strongly in January, to 15.6% y-o-y, in line with our view for credit growth to reach a strong 16% by year-end. Unemployment also remains anchored near record lows, which is good for consumption, as is the appreciating exchange rate, which is keeping households' purchasing power.
* In 2012, Peru's household PC segment will remain the main PC market driver, as Peruvian consumers become increasingly affluent, and forecast lower unemployment helps confidence. Peru's Free Trade Agreement with the US has reduced tariffs by up to 80% and is continuing to fuel IT investments.
* The introduction of digital TV at the provincial level should stimulate demand for flat-screen TV sets in these markets. The first cities where digital TV services were expected to be available are Arequipa, Cusco, Trujillo, Piura, Chiclayo and Hancayo. Meanwhile, residents of Lima are scheduled to have access to eight additional TV channels by 2012. The start of digital terrestrial broadcasting is due to take place in 2014.
Report Table of Contents:
- Peru Consumer Electronics Market SWOT
- Peru Political SWOT
- Peru Economic SWOT
- Peru Business Environment SWOT
- Table: Latin America Risk/Reward Ratings, Q312
Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: PC Sales
- AV Devices
- Table: AV Sales,2008-2016
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Communications
Consumer Electronics Industry
- Market Background
- Import Tariffs
- Electronics Industry
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview
- Government Authority
- Table: Peru - Economic Activity
- Table: Peru's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Peru's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Peru's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Peru's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.