2012-09-05 15:03:56 - New Consumer Goods research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
BMI expects the Philippines IT market will grow by around 10% in 2012, with our forecast upwardly revised despite signs of weakness in the country's main electronics exports markets. Despite an uncertain economic outlook, consumer electronics spending is likely to remain fairly strong in the coming quarters, with government spending providing a stimulus. Given the Philippines' low PC penetration, many provincial markets are relatively untapped territories, while rural populations contain the largest number of potential first-time mobile handset purchasers. Vendors will seek profit from product innovation such as smartphones based on the Android operating system, and 3D and LED TV sets.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer sales: US$1.9bn in 2011 to US$2.2bn in 2012, +17% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar
terms is upwardly revised following strong double-digit growth in H112.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/456366_philippines_consumer_electronics_repo ..
AV sales: US$701mn in 2011 to US$777mn in 2012, +9% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms is unchanged, with the main driver being demand for flat-screen TV sets.
Handset sales: US$1.9bn in 2011 to US$1.9bn in 2012, +3% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms is unchanged, but the Philippines is seen as a high growth market for smartphones.
Risk/Reward Ratings: The Philippine's score was 46.7out of 100.0, unchanged from the previous quarter. The country took 11th place in our latest RRR table, but has potential to rise over time due to rising device penetration.
Key Trends & Developments
Demand from outside Manila will continue to drive market expansion in 2012. More vendors are signing up new distributors and opening stores nationwide. Cebu is seen as a gateway to provinces in Visayas and Mindanao. Meanwhile, PCs for schools programmes will be another driver for the Philippines computer market.
As around one-third of the Philippine population still use analogue sets, there is plenty of continued growth potential in digital TV sets. The Philippines also lags many other Asian countries in adoption of digital TV. The Philippines has around 9mn TV households and, despite the popularity of mobile handsets and other portable media devices, TV remains the platform by which Filipinos access news and entertainment. Penetration of LCD TV sets is currently less than 1% of the population, but is expected to reach 4-5% within the forecast period.
Because of the orientation of Filipinos towards social networking in the mobile space, the Philippines is regarded as a promising market for smartphones. In 2011, 60% growth in smartphone sales was expected, with shipments of around 2.9mn units. In Q112 annualised growth reached double-digit growth territory, and smarpthones now comprise around 30% of handset sales - a share which is expected to rise.
Report Table of Contents:
- Philippines Consumer Electronics Market SWOT
- Philippines Electronics Industry SWOT
- Philippines Political SWOT
- Philippines Economic SWOT
- Philippines Business Environment SWOT
Asia Risk/Reward Ratings
- Asia-Pacific Risk/Reward Ratings, Q412
- Table: Computers: Demand, 2009-2016
- Table: AV: Demand, 2009-2016
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Handsets: Demand, 2009-2016
Consumer Electronics Industry
- Table: Electronics Exports. March 2011-Feb 2012 (US$mn)
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2009-2016
- Semiconductors And Components
- Table: Semiconductors Exports. March 2011-Feb 2012 (US$mn)
- Table: Exports - Electronic Data Processing Products. March 2011-Feb 2012 (US$mn) )
- Table: Exports - Office Equipment Products. March 2011 - Feb 2012 (US$mn) )
- Table: Exports - Consumer Electronics Products. March 2011 - Feb 2012 (US$mn) )
- Table: Exports - Telecommunications Electronics Products. March 2011 - Feb 2012 (US$mn) )
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview
- IT Education Agenda
- Table: Philippines - Economic Activity
- Table: Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Philippines' Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Philippines' Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.