Recently released market study: United Kingdom Metals Report Q4 2012
2012-11-12 12:24:10 - Fast Market Research recommends "United Kingdom Metals Report Q4 2012" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI's UK Metals Report for Q4 2012 examines how British steelmakers are responding to a high cost, high risk environment in the short-term and the long-term challenges posed by a structural change in the global steel market with a great focus on quality and niche production over large volume continuous casting. The report also assesses prospects for growth in an
increasingly volatile external market as well as domestic stagnation, but warns the chief challenge to competitiveness will remain the UK's high electricity prices, which are putting margins under pressure.
In the first seven months of 2012, British crude steel output fell 2.9% y-o-y to 5.63mn tonnes (mnt), one of the worst performances in the EU. This follows declines of 2.4% and 3.6% in 2011 and 2010, respectively, underlining the ongoing weakness of the steel industry as it struggles with a stagnant domestic economy and poor export performance. However, performance from May strengthened, due in large part to the restart in April of slab production at the Sahaviriya Steel Industries' (SSI) plant in Teesside.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/499768_united_kingdom_metals_report_q4_2012. ..
Production will be dragged down by continued weakness in domestic manufacturing. A sustained contraction in the construction industry going into 2013 represents a significant downside risk for British steelmaking. Austerity measures introduced by the new coalition government have compounded the uncertainties facing the construction industry with fears that reduced spending will depress steel demand.
Although a recovery is anticipated in 2013, production levels are still well down on the levels seen before the 2008 financial crisis, which led to a collapse in activity in the steel industry. Strong growth will come from a low base and the industry will not return to pre-2008 levels over the forecast period.
Over the last quarter BMI has revised the following forecasts/views:
* SSI's contribution to overall production has prompted BMI to revise its crude steel output growth forecast for 2012 from -3.0% to -1.5%.
* A stabilisation of the economy, restocking and plant restarts should lead the recovery in the British steel industry in 2013 when BMI forecasts output should increase 10% to 10.3mnt and domestic crude steel consumption rise 4.5% to 10.1mnt.
Report Table of Contents:
- United Kingdom Business Environment SWOT
Europe Metals Overview
- Table: United Kingdom - Steel Production & Consumption ('000 tonnes, unless stated otherwise)
- Table: United Kingdom - Steel Industry Historical Data ('000 tonnes, unless stated otherwise)
- Macroeconomic Outlook
- Economic Activity I
- Economic Recovery: Down But Not Out
- Table: United Kingdom - Economic Activity
- Economic Activity II
- Weak Productivity Risks Locking In Low Growth
- Steel Price Forecast - Steel To Average US$360/tonne In 2013
- Table: Steel Forecast
- Table: Steel Forecasts
- Commodity Strategy - Monthly Metals Update
- Aluminium: Support At US$1,800/tonne Likely To Hold
- Copper: Relative Outperformer But Still Weak
- Iron Ore: Don't Bet On A Sustainable Recovery
- Lead: Potential For Short-Term Rally
- Nickel: No Turnaround Coming
- Steel: More Pain Ahead
- Tin To Outperform
- Zinc: Little Room For Optimism
- Table: Select Commodities - Performance & BMI Forecasts
- Government Policy
- Rio Tinto
- Table: Rio Tinto - Key Financial Data
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Cross Checks
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.