2014-03-30 13:03:43 - New Healthcare research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
The pharmaceutical manufacturing sector will remain an economic mainstay for Puerto Rico. The local government is focused on defending the commonwealth nation's position as a global pharmaceutical production hub by offering incentives for the expansion of existing manufacturing plants and pursuing new opportunities in contract manufacturing operations as well as generic and biologic drug production. However, it will be difficult for the island to return to its former pharmaceutical manufacturing glory.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: US$3.02bn in 2013 to US$3.04bn in 2014; +0.9% in local currency terms. Forecast is below the previous quarter's projection due to new historical numbers.
* Healthcare: US$7.81bn in 2013 to US$8.13bn in 2014; +4.1% in local currency terms. Forecast below Q114 due to less promising
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/782597_puerto_rico_pharmaceuticals_healthcar ..
Risk/Reward Rating: While Puerto Rico is again ranked third out of the 17 markets surveyed in the Americas region in our latest Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) regional assessment, Puerto Rico is not considered an attractive longer-term prospect from the perspective of multinational investment. Although its per capita spending on medicines is higher than in Latin American countries, an economic slowdown, high unemployment and falling population numbers will continue to weigh on pharmaceutical market development.
Key Trends and Developments
* In February 2014, Abbott announced it will close its manufacture plant in Barceloneta in mid-2015.
* In November 2013, Eli Lilly announced it will invest more than US$700mn to enhance its global insulin manufacturing capacity in Puerto Rico, France and China, as well as Indianapolis.
* On November 15 2013, Merck & Co announced that it will cease active ingredient production at a plant in Barceloneta by the end of 2014 as part of its global restructuring plans. Formulation and packaging operations at the plant will continue under a third-party contract. The company will also consolidate formulation operations at its plants in Arecibo and Las Piedras, and those operations will be transferred to a third party by the end of 2016. Merck currently operates three plants on the island and employs more than 1,000 workers. Cesar Simich, Merck's managing director for Puerto Rico and the Caribbean said 'the company still has a presence in Puerto Rico; we've been here for 65 years.'
* On November 20 2013, Pfizer announced that it would close one of its three manufacturing plants in Barceloneta Puerto Rico by 2017. The company said the closure was due to the loss of patent exclusivity and the improvement of manufacturing efficiency. Currently, Pfizer employs nearly 2,700 people at its three manufacturing plants and commercial offices in Puerto Rico.
BMI Economic View: After emerging from a five-year recession in FY2012, recent economic data suggests the Puerto Rican economy could have fallen back into a recession in FY2013. Indeed, contracting economic activity across several sectors, rising unemployment, and a contraction in business loans increase the likelihood of a double dip recession in FY2013.
BMI Political View: We believe Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla will face significant obstacles in addressing Puerto Rico's poor fiscal situation. Indeed, signs that the economy continues to weaken increase the risk of fiscal slippage through potentially lower-than-expected tax revenue. In addition, a weak economy will increase opposition to further austerity measures, which could see the government fail to meet its fiscal targets.
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.