2012-08-31 03:58:02 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Qatar Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI View: We project Qatar consumer electronics spending will grow by about 8% in US dollar terms in 2012, with consumer confidence remaining on a sound footing. Credit growth picked up in H211 (after falling to 11.6% y-o-y in H111), growing 28.3% y-o-y and 24.5% in December 2011 and January 2012 respectively. An evolving retail landscape will help to stimulate sales, and new technologies, and factors such as increased competition in the mobile communications sector and the roll-out of high-spend broadband services, will also act as drivers. Meanwhile, an expected influx of visitors in the run-up to the 2022 FIFA World Cup (3mn tourists arrived when South Africa hosted the event in 2010) should boost spending.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Full Report Details
- www.fastmr.com/prod/451359_qatar_consumer_electronics_report_q3_ ..
* Computer hardware sales: US$232mn in 2011 to US$253mn in 2012, +9% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised due to stronger than expected sales growth in 2011.
* AV sales: US$307mn in 2011 to US$325mn in 2012, +6% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flat-screen TV sets the main growth driver.
* Handset sales: US$90mn in 2011 to US$103mn in 2012, +14% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised ,with operator promotions and new releases expected to result in continued smartphone demand growth.
Qatar's score was 57.1 out of 100.0, which gave it 4th place in our latest MEA CE RRR table. BMI expects Qatar to remain an important regional market due a and high economic growth rate that is forecast will buoy consumer confidence.
Key Trends & Developments
* Qatar's promising 3G market will also be a core battleground for mobile operators and handset vendors alike, and is just starting to show signs of impressive growth. BMI projects that 3G models will account for above 80% of handset sales by 2016. Our new 3G growth forecast is that by the end of 2016 about 46% of Qatari mobile subscribers will use some form of 3G service.
* This year, the 2012 London Olympics and UEFA football championships should encourage more Qataris to upgrade their flat-screen TV sets to enjoy a better viewing experience. One driver of spending on AV devices will be the roll-out of faster broadband services such as Qtel's fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) service, which should drive spending on facilitating devices such as cameras, monitors, portable computers and digital TV sets.
* Sales of LCD and plasma screen sets have increased as prices have fallen substantially over the last few years, with the price of a 32 inch LCD TV now below US$850. One emerging product category vendors will watch is ultrabooks, which have been heavily promoted by some vendors. However, their average price in H112 was about QAR4,000, which is likely to act as a constraint on the market. Prices are expected to fall during H212, spurring faster adoption, and the devices could potentially capture around one-quarter of the PC market by the end of 2012.
Report Table of Contents:
- Qatar Consumer Electronics Market SWOT
- Qatar Political SWOT
- Qatar Economic SWOT
- Qatar Business Environment SWOT
- Table: Middle East And Africa Consumer Electronics Risk/Reward Ratings, Q312
Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: PC Sales, 2008-2016
- AV Devices
- Table: AV Sales, 2009-2016
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Mobile Communications
Consumer Electronics Industry
- Industry Developments
- Table: Qatar Distributors For Leading Brands
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview
- Table: Qatar - Economic Activity, 2011-2012
- AV Devices
- Mobile Handsets
- Axiom Telecom
- Jumbo Electronics
- Eros Group
- Qatar's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Qatar's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Qatar's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Qatar's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.