2012-08-31 01:53:01 - R&D Trends: Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - Small Pipeline Which Lacks Promise - a new market research report on companiesandmarkets.com
New therapies have entered the benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) drug market since Datamonitor reviewed the market in 2009, including Rapaflo (silodosin; Recordati) and Duodart/Jalyn (dutasteride and tamsulosin; GlaxoSmithKline). Meanwhile, the failure of AEterna Zentaris´s cetrorelix to meet Phase III efficacy endpoints signals the end of gonadotropin-releasing hormones being approved for BPH.
- Understand key dynamics in the R&D pipeline for new BPH therapies.
- Support R&D decision-making by understanding the competitive dynamics of the pipeline.
- Benchmark pipeline candidates using the target product profile identified by Datamonitor.
- Access Datamonitor´s prediction of how the treatment landscape may change in the next 20 years.
Datamonitor identified 18 drugs in clinical development
for BPH, with orally delivered candidates accounting for 43% of the R&D pipeline. Still, key opinion leaders believe that the pipeline shows little promise and remain pessimistic about the future treatment of BPH.
Datamonitor regards Flomax (tamsulosin; Astellas/Boehringer Ingelheim) as the gold standard for symptom relief, while Avodart (dutasteride; GlaxoSmithKline) is the gold-standard disease-modifying therapy. However, Avodart´s drawbacks include a minimal symptomatic effect, lengthy time to induce therapeutic action, and sexual dysfunction.
Opinion leaders foresee an increase in the use of surgical management over the next decade. This is in spite of the risks and costs associated with surgery and will be driven by technological advances and the improved outcomes that surgery offers in comparison to drug treatments.
Reasons to Buy
- What are the key trends in the benign prostatic hyperplasia pipeline?
- What is the ideal target product profile for a new drug treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia?
- How will the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia evolve over the next 2 decades?
- What is the clinical gold standard and how do new candidates have to compare to this to successfully penetrate the BPH market?
Click for report details: www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Market ..
Browse all Healthcare and Medical Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Market ..
Browse all Healthcare and Medical Company Profile Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/Healthcare-and-Medical/Compan ..
Browse all Latest Market Research Reports www.companiesandmarkets.com/Market/All/Market-Research?aCode=f3f ..
Companiesandmarkets.com is a leading online business information aggregator with over 300,000 market reports and company profiles available to our clients. Our extensive range of reports are sourced from the leading publishers of business information and provide clients with the widest range of information available. In terms of company profiles, Companiesandmarkets.comâs online database allows clients access to market and corporate information to over 100,000 different companies. We provide clients with a fully indexed database of information where clients can find specific market reports on their niche industry sectors of interest.