2012-10-27 18:15:26 - Fast Market Research recommends "Bangladesh Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI View: While geographic diversification and investment into the pharmaceutical and healthcare sector of emerging economies, such as Bangladesh, may be a favourable strategy for any multinational pharmaceutical company - it is vital that a company recognises both the rewards and the risks present in a market. With regards to assessing risks in the Bangladeshi healthcare sector, we have identified those emanating from the state's political/economic profile (such as high inflation) and industry specific dangers (such as low per-capita spending and poor access to healthcare facilities) that call into question the likelihood of anticipated returns being realised over the assessed time period.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: BDT111.10bn (US$1.50bn) in 2011 to BDT124.15bn (US$1.52bn) in 2012; +11.7% in local currency terms
and +1.1% in US dollar terms.
* Healthcare: BDT271.27bn (US$3.66bn) in 2011 to BDT304.45bn (US$3.72bn) in 2012; +12.2% in local currency terms and +1.6% in US dollar terms.
* Medical devices: BDT12.91bn (US$174mn) in 2011 to BTD14.44bn (US$176mn) in 2012; +11.8% in local currency terms and +1.2% in US dollar terms.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/479363_bangladesh_pharmaceuticals_healthcare ..
Risk/Reward Ratings: In our latest regional Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) for Asia Pacific, Bangladesh has dropped one place to 17th out of the 18 markets surveyed in the region. Its RRR score of 38.3 is dragged down by the particularly poor industry rewards component. While the country's growing population represents a potential draw for multinationals, its risks remain elevated.
Key Trends And Developments
* In July 2012, it was reported that the prices of more than 1,200 pharmaceutical products have increased by 20-100% in Bangladesh in the last few months. The authorities have reportedly remained indifferent to the issue, which has resulted in price rises by the country's pharmaceutical companies at retail level. Drug manufacturers have attributed the price hikes primarily to the rise in international market prices of raw materials and a fall in the value of the currency.
* In July 2012, Indian personal and healthcare consumer products company Emami announced that it is to expand its geographic footprint by establishing a new manufacturing plant in Bangladesh in FY12/13. Over the next two years, Emami will invest INR150-200mn (US$2.7- 3.6mn) in Bangladesh and the facility will produce personal and healthcare products, which are expected to increase the share of Emami's international business.
BMI Economic View: As expected, the provisional real GDP growth figure shows the economy slowing this fiscal year (FY2011/12, July-June), after two consecutive years of accelerating. In FY2012/13, as we expect domestic macroeconomic conditions to be more stable and supportive (namely on the inflation, interest rate and exchange rate front), we believe the economy will gradually pick up. That said, our 6.3% growth forecast remains below consensus, as we remain concerned about the likelihood of the bleak external environment partially offsetting some of the domestic gains.
BMI Political View: The opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party's already-minimal capacity to influence legislation to incorporate its centre-right and more conservative economic agenda has been badly damaged by the recent arrest of several of its top leaders due to a mass protest that turned violent. Coupled with the party's long-running extended boycotts of parliament, the now-weaker opposition suggests to us that future legislation (including the upcoming fiscal year's budget) will likely be even more absent of conservative measures.
Partial Table of Contents:
- Bangladesh Pharmaceuticals And Healthcare Industry SWOT
- Bangladesh Political SWOT
- Bangladesh Economic SWOT
- Bangladesh Business Environment SWOT
Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings, Q412
Bangladesh - Market Summary
- Table: Steps To Establish A Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Unit And Obtain A Drug Manufacturing Licence
- Counterfeit Drugs
- Intellectual Property
- Pricing And Reimbursement Regime
- International Collaboration
- Communicable Diseases
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Sector Provision
- Healthcare Sector Financing
- Research & Development
- Table: Suggestions Made By University Of Dhaka's Faculty Of Pharmacy To Improve Pharmaceutical Research
- Clinical Trials
- Medical Devices
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Overall Market Forecast
- Table: Pharmaceutical Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Key Growth Factors - Industry
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Indicators, 2008-2016
- Table: Healthcare Governmental Indicators, 2008-2016
- Table: Healthcare Private Indicators, 2008-2016
- Key Growth Factors - Macroeconomic
- Table: Bangladesh - Economic Activity, 2011-2016
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Prescription Drug Sales Indicators, 2008-2016
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators, 2008-2016
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Drug Sales Indicators, 2008-2016
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Sales Indicators, 2008-2016
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Exports and Imports Indicators, 2008-2016
- Medical Devices Market Forecast
- Table: Medical Devices Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Other Healthcare Data Forecasts
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Domestic Pharmaceutical Industry
- Foreign Pharmaceutical Industry
- Contract Manufacturing
- Foreign Company Developments
- Local Company Developments
- Pharmaceutical Distribution
- Local Companies
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.