2013-12-23 17:55:16 - New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "Brazil Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014"
Brazil's traditional commitment to healthcare improvement and growing middle-class population present significant revenue-generating opportunities for multinationals in the country. The Brazilian pharmaceutical market is now an integral part of all large pharmaceutical companies' strategic outlook. However, given the significant influence of the Brazilian government in the pharmaceutical sector and its determination to promote the domestic pharmaceutical industry, we believe local drugmakers will outpace multinationals.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: BRL52.4bn (US$26.8bn) in 2012 to BRL57.0bn (US$26.4bn) in 2013; +8.7% in local currency terms and -1.6% in US dollars terms. Forecast revised downwards from Q413 due to macroeconomic forecast changes.
* Healthcare: BRL410.8bn (US$210.1bn) in 2012 to BRL442.4bn (US$204.8bn) in 2013; +7.7% in local currency terms and -2.5% in US dollars. Forecast
revised downwards from Q413 due to less optimistic macroeconomic forecast data.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754479_brazil_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_rep ..
Risk/Reward Rating: Brazil scores 61.5 in BMI's Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Risk/Reward Rating (RRR), making it the fourth most attractive pharmaceutical market in America. We have re-weighted the RRR components to improve the tool, and adjusted scores for all markets in the Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare reports.
Key Trends And Developments
* In October 2013, Brazil's local media Valor Economico reported that by June 2013 half of Brazilian pharmaceutical sales were generated by domestic manufacturers. In volume sales terms, local companies accounted for over 70% of the market share.
* In September 2013, the Brazilian government was planning to renew the 'buy Brazil act' law adopted in 2010, which has introduced a preference for goods and services produced in Brazil of up to 25% in government procurements.
* In September 2013, Brazil's National Survey on Access, Use and Promotion of Rational Use of Drugs (Pesquisa Nacional sobre Acesso, Utilizacao e Promocao do Uso Racional de Medicamentos (PNAUM)) was initiated. This will evaluate the consumption of medicines in the country.
* In September 2013, Brazil's National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA) suspended new applications for medicine registrations, filed after July 31 2013, with 'Good Bioavailability and Bioequivalence Practices' certifications issued by clinical research centres located outside of Brazil.
* In August 2013, Brazil's National Agency for Sanitary Surveillance (ANVISA) published a new resolution on August 16 that updates the regulatory procedures for certificates of good manufacturing practices for medicinal products.
BMI Economic View: With data indicating that Brazil's economic recovery is beginning to falter, we are revising down our 2013 and 2014 real GDP growth forecasts, as we believe that a number of headwinds will temper economic activity in the coming months. In particular, we believe that the aggressive sell-off in the exchange rate, combined with rising interest rates and elevated inflation will see private consumption growth underperform our previous expectations.
BMI Political View: We see a number of issues on the horizon that could weigh on public support for President Dilma Rousseff in the coming months, making her re-election more challenging than current polling data suggest. That said, despite facing significant political headwinds in recent months, she remains the frontrunner in next year's presidential race, suggesting some resilience in support for her.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Brazil Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Brazil Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Brazil Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Brazil Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Brazil Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Brazil Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Brazil Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Brazil Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Brazil Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Brazil Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (BRLmn)
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Table: BRAZIL - ECONOMIC ACTIVITY
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Americas Risk/Reward Ratings
- Brazil Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Research & Development
- Table: Brazilian Government's Partnership Deals With Multinationals
- Clinical Trials
- Regulatory Development
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Compulsory Licensing
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- OTC Regulations
- Protectionist Measures
- Table: Top 20 Pharmaceutical Companies In Brazil By Sales In 2010
- Innovative Drugmakers
- Generic Drugmakers
- Table: Hypermarcas' Major Acquisitions, 2005-11
- OTC Sector
- Pharmaceutical Distribution Sector
- Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
- EMS Sigma
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.