2013-10-31 17:17:46 - New Consumer Goods research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
The Costa Rica tourism report examines the significant long-term potential currently being demonstrated by the local tourism industry. It raises concerns about the proliferation of drug-trafficking throughout Central America, which poses a challenge to Costa Rican authorities and could potentially deter tourism to the region. We also analyse the growth strategies being employed by the country to continue to attract arrivals, including airport and port expansions, as well as continued efforts to remain an eco-tourism destination.
Costa Rica's tourist industry is set to register positive growth in 2013, with BMI forecasting arrivals growth of 1.0%. We believe this reflects a slowdown in tourist visits from North America and Europe, owing to ongoing economic weakness. Despite slower arrivals in 2013, the country
is still attracting strong interest from international hotel chains, with several major new hotels scheduled to open in 2013 and 2014. We expect such investment to continue, with hotel groups looking to bolster their presence in the country for when demand picks up again.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/698071_costa_rica_tourism_report_q4_2013.asp ..
Presidential and legislative elections are scheduled for February 2014. Despite the unpopularity of incumbent President Laura Chinchilla, we do not expect any outbreaks of violent protest surrounding the elections, with tourists largely unaffected except by major campaign rallies in urban centres such as San Jose. Moreover, as Costa Rica's political parties are all agreed on the importance of tourism to the country's economy, there is highly unlikely to be any change to the current favourable stance towards the tourist industry to change following the elections.
Key forecasts for Costa Rica's tourism industry:
* BMI has revised down its rate of inbound tourist arrival growth in 2013, to 1.0% from a previous forecast of 2.4%. This reflects slower growth in key source markets such as the US.
* BMI has reduced its forecasts for outbound tourism in 2013. Overall outbound tourism will grow by 2.1%, but departure to the main markets will slow. This is noted particularly in Europe, where forecasts of 2.5% growth over the forecast period to 2017 have been reduced to below 0.3% per year.
* BMI has revised its forecast for hotels and restaurants industry growth over the forecast period, anticipating a rise in value to US$1.74bn in 2017, up from US$1.71bn in 2013.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Inbound Tourism
- Table: Costa Rica Inbound Tourist Arrivals, 2010-2017
- Table: Inbound Tourism, Top 10 markets by arrivals, 2010-2017
- Outbound Tourism
- Table: Outbound Tourism, 2010-2017
- Table: Outbound Tourism Top 10 Destinations, 2010-2017
- Table: Costa Rica Tourism Receipts, 2010-2017
- Table: Travel Methods, 2010-2017
- Table: Hotels and Restaurants Industry Value, 2010-2017
- Table: Hotel Accommodation 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Tourism Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Americas Tourism Risk Reward Ratings
- Security Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Global Hotel Group Presence in Costa Rica
- Table: Costa Rica Transport Infrastructure Projects - Airports
- Grupo Barcelo
Global Industry Overview
- Table: Global Assumptions
- Table: Global And Regional Real GDP Growth (% change y-o-y)
- Developed States
- Table: Developed States, Real GDP Growth Forecasts
- Emerging Markets
- Table: Emerging Markets' Real GDP Growth Forecasts
- Table: BMI Versus Bloomberg Consensus Real GDP Growth Forecasts (%)
- Costa Rica
- Table: Costa Rica's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Costa Rica's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Costa Rica's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Costa Rica's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Tourism Industry
- Tourism Ratings - Methodology
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.