2013-12-08 17:22:09 - New Materials research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Japan's metal industry is set for slight growth over the coming years, driven by continued reconstruction efforts from the earthquake over two years ago. In addition, the government is pursuing stimulus measures which should given a boost to construction industries. However, given our bearish view on steel prices, as well as the relatively high costs of production in Japan, there will only be modest growth as the economy nears saturation levels.
Over the long term we expect production and consumption trends to fall back to low single figures, in line with growth forecasts for the Japanese economy as a whole. Japan remains one of the largest producers and consumers of these metals, but faces a declining share of world output and
demand, as China and up-and-coming India rapidly increase production and consumption in most metals. Although steel prices have dipped since the start of 2012, we expect to see a slight rebound in 2014. We expect steel production to rebound on the back of increased demand as construction efforts get underway, but it will be short-lived, with production growth experiencing a steady decline from 2014-2016.
Full Report Details at
Overall, we expect production of refined metals to outpace growth in demand, leading to an output surplus over the coming years. Indeed, we expect Japan to become a larger net nickel exporter from 2014. We therefore expect Japan's exports of refined metals to increase, with the primary export market being China, a market we expect to remain reliant on imported metals, at least in the short- to medium-term.
Our forecasts are based on the premise that the Japanese economy will slowly recover from recession and the 2011 earthquake, and will then continue its pre-crisis trend of slow growth. Consequently, there are downside risks to our forecasts depending on the performance of the wider economy. If the country shows signs of a slower than expected recovery we will consider revising down our forecasts.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Metals SWOT
- Steel: Headwinds Beckon, But Collapse Not Near
- Table: Japan - Steel Production & Consumption (kt, Unless Stated Otherwise)
- Table: Japan - Historical Steel Production, Consumption & Trade (kt, Unless Stated Otherwise)
- Aluminium: Modest Growth As Sector Recovers
- Table: Japan - Refined Aluminium Production & Consumption Forecasts ('000 tonnes, unless stated otherwise)
- Copper: Production On Stronger Support
- Table: Japan - Refined Copper Production & Consumption Forecasts (kt, unless stated otherwise)
- Iron Ore: Rally To Fade In Q413
- Steel: Supply Glut To Endure
- Aluminium: Surge Gives Way
- Copper: Weak Outlook
- Lead: Short-Term Weakness
- Nickel: Still The Laggard
- Zinc: Still A Surplus Market
- Table: Select Commodities - Performance And BMI Forecasts
- Table: Global Commodities Strategy
- Steel Price Forecast
- Table: BMI Steel Forecast
- Table: Steel Forecast
- Table: Japan - Largest Listed Metal Companies
- Nippon Steel
- Table: Nippon Steel - Financial Data
- JFE Holdings
- Table: JFE Holdings - Financial Data
- Cross Checks
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.