2013-12-08 14:16:50 - New Healthcare research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
After several years of budget cuts, which have had an impact on the healthcare sector, Latvia's pharmaceutical market is re-emerging with steady growth forecast. Spending on pharmaceuticals will be driven by the strength of the private sector since the market has a high proportion of out-of-pocket expenditure. Meanwhile, the country's manufacturing sector should benefit from its anticipated membership of the eurozone, which remains on track.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: LVL221mn (US$307mn) in 2012 to LVL230mn (US$432mn) in 2013; +4.0% in local currency terms and +6.1% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly unchanged from previous quarter.
* Healthcare: LVL946mn (US$1.74bn) in 2012 to LVL1.00bn (US$1.88bn) in 2013; +5.8% in local currency terms and +7.9% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly unchanged
from previous quarter.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723599_latvia_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_rep ..
Risk/Reward Ratings: Latvia is ranked 15th out of the 20 countries surveyed in the Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) region in Q413. Despite an improvement of two places from the previous quarter, Latvia's composite score of 48.8 remains below the regional average of 51.8, indicating the country's challenging business environment, particularly in terms of potential industry rewards. Consequently, direct multinational operations are limited and domestic companies such as Grindeks have looked abroad for growth opportunities.
Key Trends And Developments
* In August 2013, it was reported that Grindeks was planning to build a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant in the Russian city of Ufa, according to Dmitry Sharonov, the deputy prime minister of the Republic of Bashkortostan.
* In July 2013, Grindeks successfully passed a US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspection. The FDA issued a certificate for a Grindeks facility, enabling them to export medicines to their US partners. Grindeks intends to export xylazine, xylazine hydrochloride and droperidol to the US, as well as continuing to supply oxytocine and detomidine to the US.
BMI Economic View: Overall, we maintain our previous assessment of Latvia's budget balance, whose fiscal and debt dynamics we regard as among the strongest in Europe. We forecast Latvia's budget deficit this year to arrive only slightly wider than 2012's shortfall, at 1.3% of GDP in 2013 versus 1.2% in 2012, due to our slightly below-consensus expectations for real GDP growth. While we still regard the Latvian government as one of the most hawkish in the European Union, we believe that in light of the major progress achieved in fiscal consolidation, the government will ease up on austerity measures over the coming years, although we do not expect the fiscal deficit to widen substantially as a result. Indeed, in light of the severity of austerity measures implemented since the global financial crisis, a relaxation of government spending, or a reduction in tax rates could prove relatively beneficial to the economy.
BMI Political View: As we have long anticipated, Latvia has successfully met all the eurozone convergence criteria and has received the green light from the EU and ECB to adopt the single currency on January 2014. Nonetheless, domestic attitudes towards the euro remain more negative than most other recently acceded EU member states which have yet to join the euro. Despite this, we maintain the euro will be adopted without delay in January, and expect attitudes towards the single currency will improve in the months following its adoption.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Latvia Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2010-2018
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Latvia Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2010-2018f
- Table: Latvia Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2010-2018f
- Table: Latvia Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Latvia Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2010-2018f
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Latvia Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Latvia Generics Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts, 2010-2018f
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Latvia Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade
- Table: Latvia Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn), 2010-2017
- Table: Latvia Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (LVLmn), 2009-2017
- Other Healthcare Data
- Table: Physicians By Specialty, 2004-2010
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
- Real GDP By Expenditure Breakdown
- Risks To Outlook
- Table: Latvia - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Central And Eastern Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Latvia Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Leading Causes of Death, 1990-2010
- Table: New Cases of Cancer, 2004-2010
- Table: Cumulative Reported Cases of HIV and AIDS, 2000-2010
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Sector Funding
- Healthcare Provision
- Table: Hospitals & Beds, 2006-2010
- Table: Hospital Beds by Specialty, 2004-2010
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Regional Collaboration
- Intellectual Property Developments
- Pricing Regime
- Reimbursement Regime
- Pharmaceutical Industry
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.