2013-01-31 09:01:46 - Fast Market Research recommends "Mozambique Agribusiness Report Q1 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI View: According to the Ministry of Agriculture, Mozambique still requires investment of US$3.1bn between 2013 and 2017 to ensure that the country is self-sufficient in food. We hold a positive view on the agribusiness sector of the country, as Mozambique has the potential feed itself and is able to tap abundant and largely unexploited land and water resources. Of the utmost importance is boosting agricultural productivity by improving irrigation, and introducing technology to small-scale farmers. The government has also highlighted the need to improve food and nutritional safety and facilitate more agricultural reform. Our optimism about Mozambique's agriculture industry largely hinges on the government's continued support for the sector.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/529437_mozambique_agribusiness_report_q1_201 ..
* Sugar production
growth to 2016/17: 52.3% to reach 533,000 tonnes. As one of Mozambique's key cash crops, long-term sugar production growth will reflect an increase in export-driven demand and the opening up of new markets. Output is also expected to benefit from investment in biofuels.
* Poultry consumption growth to 2017: 33.3% to 60,400 tonnes. Among the factors underpinning our strong growth expectations are Mozambique's expanding population and the country's rising standards of living.
* Corn production growth to 2016/17: 12.4% to 2.45mn tonnes. Corn will remain one of Mozambique's most important food crops; it will also retain its status as an important source of feed for poultry and livestock. However, despite benefiting from efforts to raise production levels, the crop will remain vulnerable to variations in rainfall.
* BMI universe agribusiness market value: US$841.0mn in 2013 (up from US$828.0mn in 2012; growth expected to average 2.1% annually between 2012 and 2017).
* Real GDP growth: 7.6% in 2013 (up from 7.5% in 2012; projected to average 8.9% annually between 2012 and 2017).
* Consumer price index: 4.7% year-on-year (y-o-y) in 2013 (higher than 2.5% in 2012; predicted to average 5.9% over 2012-2017).
* Central bank policy rate: 8.75% in 2013 (down from 12.25% in 2012; predicted to average 10.00% over 2012-2017).
A group of Chinese businessmen from Hubei province have signed a US$250mn deal with authorities from the state-owned Lower Limpopo Irrigation Scheme to help to develop the region's water irrigation and boost productivity within an area of agricultural land covering 12,000 hectares (ha). The initiative is mostly being undertaken with the view towards increasing wheat and rice production from the current level of 3.0 tonnes per ha to about 10 tonnes/ha. The partnership will be significant given that the Lower Limpopo system is the second largest irrigation scheme in the country.
South African companies are ramping up their investment in the poultry and sugar industries in Mozambique, drawn by the country's economic and political stability and its attractive trade agreements with the US and the EU. South African sugar producer TSB is building a sugar cane plantation in addition to a sugar and ethanol mill, known as the Massingir Agro-Industrial Project, in the southern Mozambican province of Gaza. It covers 37,000ha and is scheduled to begin production in 2017. Meanwhile, Astral Foods recently opened a poultry hatchery close to Maputo after owning a feed mill in the country since 2000. Increased investment in the country is likely to favour production growth in the long term.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- BMI Industry View
- SWOT Analysis - Q1 - Mozambique
- Mozambique Livestock Outlook
- Table: Mozambique Poultry Production & Consumption, 2012-2017
- Table: Mozambique Poultry Production & Consumption, 2007-2012
- Mozambique Sugar Outlook
- Table: Mozambique Sugar Production & Consumption, 2012-2017
- Table: Mozambique Sugar Production & Consumption, 2007-2012
- Mozambique Grains Outlook
- Table: Mozambique Corn Production & Consumption, 2012-2017
- Table: Mozambique Corn Production & Consumption, 2007-2012
Commodities Price Analysis
- Monthly Softs Strategy
- Table: BMI Commodity Price Strategy
- Table: Agricultural Commodity Performance & Forecasts
- Monthly Grains Strategy
- Table: Agricultural Commodity Performance & Forecasts
- Africa Machinery Outlook
- Africa Fertiliser Outlook
- Africa GM Outlook
- Table: Select Countries - Global Corn Yield Rank For 2012/13 Season
- Industry Forecast - Food
- Table: Food Consumption Indicators - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Sugar Confectionery Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Meat Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Preserved Fish Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Snack Foods Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Sweet Biscuits Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Bread Products Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Pasta Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Industry Forecast - Drink
- Table: Beer Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Table: Carbonated Soft Drinks Volume Sales, Production & Trade - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Industry Forecast - Mass Grocery Retail
- Table: Mass Grocery Retail Sales - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- Demographic Forecast
- Table: Mozambique's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.