2013-02-24 15:32:47 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Vietnam Consumer Electronics Report Q1 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI View: We project that Vietnam consumer electronics spending will grow by about 18% in US dollar terms in 2013 to US$6.2bn. The country's vast, underpenetrated rural market offers the most growth potential, with Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City accounting for most sales. In 2012 Vietnamese retail demand for consumer electronics products grew robustly, despite pressure on consumer incomes from rising inflation. Growth areas include smartphones, where a surge in demand has been fuelled by lower prices, and flatscreen TV sets, which now comprise more than two-thirds of TV set sales.
Headline Expenditure Projections:
* Computer hardware sales: US$1.8bn in 2012 to US$2.1bn in 2013, +138% in US dollar terms. The forecast in US dollar terms is unchanged, but
due to Windows 8 tablets and ultrabooks, we expect sales in these areas to grow in 2013.
* AV sales: US$1.4bn in 2012 to US$1.6bn in 2013, +14% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flat-screen TV sets expected to provide the most dynamic development.
* Handset sales: US$2.0bn in 2012 to US$2.5bn in 2012, +24% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with Android smartphones and low-cost feature phones the main revenue growth driver.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/536604_vietnam_consumer_electronics_report_q ..
Business Environment Rating:
Vietnam's score was 41.7 out of 100.0, which gave it an unchanged twelfth place in our latest Asia CE RRR table. BMI expects Vietnam to attain a higher place in our rankings over time due to the rising penetration of consumer electronics devices such as smartphones and flat-screen TV sets.
Key Trends & Developments:
The growth in smartphone sales has been fuelled by the popularity of Android-based models, which continued to be popular in 2012, and according to vendor estimates, accounted for above 70% of smartphone sales in H112. Although the operating system landscape is becoming increasingly competitive, we expect Android to retain its top position over our forecast period. In 2012, smartphones grew by around 40% and accounted for about one-third of the market.
Demand for LCD and plasma TV sets will drive AV growth. TV upgrades should be spurred by Vietnam's gradual progress towards digital TV broadcasting, which is supposed be available nationally by 2020. The government's plan for the digital migration sets out a number of key targets, including assistance for people to buy digital TV equipment.
Currently, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City are understood to account for around 85% of notebook sales. The spread of fixed and mobile broadband services will spur purchases of mobile PCs as connectivity devices. As elsewhere, telecoms operators such as Viettel are emerging as significant distribution channels for notebooks as vendors seek tie-ups.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment SWOT Analysis
- Table: Table: Consumer Electronics Overview; 2009-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Industry Business Environment Overview
- Table: Asia Risk/Reward Ratings Q412
- Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: Computers: Demand, 2009-2017
- AV Devices
- Table: Table: AV - Demand, 2010-2017
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Table: Mobile Handsets: Demand, 2009-2017
- Market Overview
- Table: Electronics Output, 2009-2017
- Electronics Trade
- Table: Computers: Production, 2009-2017
- Table: Communications: Production, 2010-2017
- AV Devices
- AV Devices
- Asia Pacific Regional Market Overview
- IT Penetration
- IT Growth and Drivers
- Sectors And Verticals
- Electronics Industry
- Vietnam Demographic Forecast
- Table: Vietnam's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Vietnam's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Vietnam's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Vietnam's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.