2013-03-20 12:08:38 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Oman Telecommunications Report Q2 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI View: Oman's mobile, fixed-line and internet sectors recorded strong growth in 2012. We attribute this to strong private consumption growth, driven by the Omani government's expansionary budget and increases in public sector wages. However, the market is limited by the country's small population size and is approaching saturation for some services, notably basic voice (fixed and mobile) services. We therefore expect operators to shift their strategy towards up-selling higher-value services to existing customers in order to sustain revenue growth.
* The mobile sector grew by 3.1% q-o-q in Q312 to bring total growth in 9M12 to 6.9%.
* YE12 data published by Nawras indicate the bullish trend in the mobile sector continued into the last quarter of the
* Total 3G subscriptions grew by 12.7% q-o-q Q312 to bring total growth in 9M12 to 48%.
* The fixed-line sector grew by 1.6% in Q312 to bring total growth in 9M12 to 4.6%.
* Total fixed broadband subscriptions grew by 6.9% q-o-q in Q312.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/552362_oman_telecommunications_report_q2_201 ..
Oman is in the top half of BMI's Risk/Reward Ratings table for the Middle East and North Africa in this quarter's update, although it dropped one place to sixth position due to a downgrade to its country risk rating. Oman scores below the regional average in the industry rewards category, partly due to market saturation and falling mobile ARPUs.
Key Trends And Developments
The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) intends to boost competition in the telecoms sector, despite the high penetration rates of most services and limited subscriptions growth opportunities in the market. In October 2012, the regulator awarded a fixed-line licence to a consortium of Awaser Oman Company and PCCW International, part of Hong Kong-based PCCW Group. The new player will be competing for customers in a small and highly competitive market, dominated by incumbent Oman Telecommunications Company (Omantel). In December, the TRA said it was reviewing licensing procedures to make it easier for new entrants into the country's telecoms market. The TRA will launch a public consultation in 2013 for a new licensing framework with the aim of improving access to high-speed broadband and ensuring conditions for effective competition in the market as well as reaching underserved areas of the country.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecast
- Table: Telecoms Sector - ARPU - Historical Data & Forecast, 2010-2017
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed-Line - Historical Data & Forecast, 2010-2017
- Table: Oman Internet Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Middle East and North Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Industry Rewards
- Country Rewards
- Industry Risks
- Country Risk
- Table: MENA Q213 RRR Table
- Oman Risk/Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Oman Mobile Market Regional Comparison, 2012
- Key Developments
- Mobile Growth
- Table: Oman Mobile Market, September 2011-September 2012
- Market Shares
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Omani Mobile Market Overview
- Table: Omantel
- Table: Nawras
- Table: Resellers
- Regional Mobile Content
- Fixed Line
- Table: Oman Fixed-Line Market, 2010 - 2012
- Table: Oman Fixed Broadband Speeds, September 2012
- International Bandwidth Capacity
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Wireline Contract Wins
- Table: Mobile Contract Wins
- Table: VAS Timeline
- Table: Oman Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Table: Key Players: Omani Telecoms Sector
- Table: Omani Financial Indicators
- Nawras Telecom
- Network Solutions
- Table: Key Altobridge Commercial Deployments
- Oman Demographic Data
- Table: Oman's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Oman's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Oman's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Oman's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Glossary Of Terms
- Table: Key Indicators For Telecommunications Industry Forecasts
- Telecoms Business Environment Ratings
- Table: Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.