2012-11-18 04:36:36 - New Healthcare research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Risk-averse pharmaceutical, healthcare and medical device companies should avoid Uzbekistan. Authorities in the Central Asian country are looking to restrict imported products and boost local production. Regulations are opaque, the influence of the state on the private sector is considerable, the economy is susceptible to commodity shocks and the political outlook is uncertain. The fact that Uzbekistan's largest privately-owned drugmaker was recently seeking opportunities in Africa, which is predominantly a very low income region, underlines the limits of commercial promise in the domestic market.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: UZS853.25bn (US$498mn) in 2011 to UZS993.00bn (US$563mn) in 2012; up 16.4% in local currency terms and 13.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from Q312.
* Healthcare: UZS4,080.86bn (US$2.38bn) in 2011 to
UZS4,931.53bn (US$2.79bn) in 2012; up 20.8% in local currency terms and 17.4% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from Q312.
* Medical devices: UZS155.82bn (US$91mn) in 2011 to UZS179.45bn (US$102mn) in 2012; up 15.2% in local currency terms and 11.8% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from Q312.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/499904_uzbekistan_pharmaceuticals_healthcare ..
Risk/Reward Ratings: Uzbekistan's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) for Q412 is 39.6 out of 100, making the country the least attractive market in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE). Uzbekistan scores below the regional average for all indicators in the proprietary ranking system and this situation is unlikely to improve in the medium term. One point of consolation is that the country's RRR score is unchanged from Q312, while the regional average fell from 52.3 to 51.2.
Key Trends And Developments
* In July 2012, UNICEF, the government of Uzbekistan and the EU signed a tripartite agreement to improve maternal and child health in the Central Asian country. The project will focus on improving the services provided to women before and during pregnancy, during childbirth and and at all stages of child development. It will cost EUR5.7mn (US$7.0mn) and run for three years. This project highlights why Uzbekistan should be considered a developing country - it is still partially reliant on external assistance in the provision of fundamental healthcare services.
* In May 2012, first quarter performance indicators for Uzpharmsanoat, the primary state holding company for the pharmaceutical sector, were released. Production increased significantly, some business units were not profitable, exports grew (albeit from a low base), numerous contracts were awarded, product development advanced, quality management systems progressed and more people were employed by the firm.
BMI Economic View: We anticipate Uzbekistan's economic growth trajectory to remain strong in 2012 and 2013 in spite of a mild slowdown in export growth. High prices for key commodity exports and continued public investment into strategic sectors will underpin robust growth in the Central Asian nation. We forecast real GDP growth at 7.8% in 2012 and 7.6% in 2013 down from an estimated 8.3% in 2011.
BMI Political View: Increased cooperation with the US is likely to be a boon for Uzbekistan in the coming years, helping to counterbalance Russian influence in the region. Militarily, the government will benefit from increased counterterrorism capabilities. On the downside, lacking US pressure, Uzbekistan will be less likely to address its poor democratic and human rights record and its international isolation will continue.
Report Table of Contents:
- Uzbekistan Pharmaceuticals And Healthcare Industry SWOT
- Table: Central And Eastern Europe Pharmaceutical Risk Reward Ratings, Q412
Uzbekistan - Market Summary
- Counterfeit Drugs
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Pricing And Reimbursement
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Sector Reforms
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Pharmaceutical Sector Reforms
- Pharmaceutical Industry Developments
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale And Retail
- Research & Development
- International Cooperation
- Medical Devices
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Overall Market Forecast
- Uzbekistan Pharmaceutical Forecasts 2008-2016
- Key Growth Factors - Industry
- Uzbekistan Pharma Forecasts 2008-2016
- Key Growth Factors - Macroeconomic
- Robust Growth To Continue On Elevated Commodity Prices
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Prescription Drug Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Patented Drug Market Indicators 2008-2016
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Generic Drug Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: OTC Medicine Sales Indicators 2008-2016
- Pharmaceutical Trade Forecast
- Table: Exports and Imports Indicators 2008-2016
- Other Healthcare Data
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecasts
- Local Companies
- Jurabek Laboratories
- Asklepiy Pharmaceutical Company
- Uzbekistan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Uzbekistan's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Uzbekistan's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Uzbekistan's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Pharmaceutical And Healthcare Glossary
- How We Generate Our Pharmaceutical Industry Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Ratings Overview
- Table: Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Components
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.