2013-12-12 15:33:12 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Czech Republic Telecommunications Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
The Czech Republic telecoms market is undergoing a transition period with the arrival of MVNOs and the regulator's efforts to attract a fourth operator into the market. These pro-competition measures will add to a market that already contains a number of major international players such as Telefonica O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone in mobile, and Telefonica and UPC in wireline. The market has been under many of the same pressures as in neighbouring countries with market saturation; regulatory factors, such as cuts to mobile termination rates; and the impact of the eurozone crisis on macroeconomic performance acting as drags on performance. However, significant opportunities remain, not least in the booming wireless data market and VAS opportunities arising from the rapid proliferation
of smartphone ownership.
* The latest ITU data show the negative impact of fixed-to-mobile substitution continues to hit operators. Total fixed-line subscriptions were down 8.3% in 2012 to 2.1mn at the end of the year.
* ARPU rates were down sharply y-o-y to Q2 2013 due to MTR cuts and price competition, while the threat of IP substitution could extend this decline over the medium term, putting pressure on operator strategies to increase data connectivity revenue.
* According to the latest data from the OECD and European Commission, the broadband market maintained growth momentum through 2012, particularly for high-speed wireline, however, there was stagnation in growth of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723557_czech_republic_telecommunications_rep ..
Key Trends And Developments
The long-awaited auction of LTE spectrum now looks set to take place in November 2013, with the CTU receiving five applications to take part in the auction. Telefonica O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone all submitted applications to take part in the auction, along with Revolution Mobile and Tasciane. The CTU is keen to get the auction under way after several aborted attempts in 2012 and 2013. However, in October 2013 Telefonica filed a lawsuit against the CTU over the conditions of the upcoming November 2013 auction for 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2600MHz spectrum. CTU is looking to encourage a new player to enter the market, but Telefonica feels that the measures the regulator has adopted are discriminatory and restrictive. BMI believes any further delays to the auction would be detrimental for consumers as the market would fall further behind regional peers in the roll-out of next generation wireless broadband services.
The potential for a fourth operator has had an impact on operator strategies in 2013 as they look to cut costs while rolling out next generation infrastructure. In August 2013, Vodafone and Telefonica O2 agreed to share their mobile networks in the Czech Republic to make savings on their network spending. Meanwhile, in September 2013 Telefonica and T-Mobile opened discussions over extending their existing 3G sharing deal to include 2G and 3G infrastructure. BMI considers network sharing agreements a positive response to shifting market conditions, however it has also been reported that Telefonica and T-Mobile are considering divesting their local operations, which we believe would be a negative development by removing international backers that are a key driver of expertise and service innovation.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Wireline SWOT
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Monthly Blended Mobile ARPU (CZK) - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data And Forecasts
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Central And Eastern Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Industry Rewards
- Country Rewards
- Industry Risks
- Country Risks
- Table: Central And Eastern Europe Telecoms Risk/Rewards Ratings, Q114
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Czech Republic Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2012
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Market Share
- Subscription Mix
- Usage (MOU/ARPU)
- Mobile Content/Value-Added Services
- Mobile Contract Wins
- Table: Mobile Contract Wins
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Market Overview
- Table: Telefonica O2 Czech Republic
- Table: T-Mobile
- Table: Vodafone Czech Republic
- CEE Mobile Content
- Fixed Line
- Table: Wireline Developments (2009-2011)
- Converged Service Operator Tables
- Table: Telefonica Czech Republic
- Table: UPC
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Czech Republic - Electronic Communications Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Regulatory Developments
- Competitor Analysis
- Table: Key Players - Czech Republic Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Operators' Financial Results
- Telefonica O2 Czech Republic
- T-Mobile Czech Republic
- Vodafone Czech Republic
- Financial Results
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: The Czech Republic's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: The Czech Republic's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: The Czech Republic's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.