2013-10-29 16:07:27 - New Business research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Despite further contractions in the mobile, mobile broadband and fixed broadband market during H113, there were some positive developments that could help to reinvigorate interest in the telecoms industry. Vodafone, Orange and Yoigo launched 4G LTE services between May and July, and the close competition should lead to affordable prices for consumers. Telefonica is the only major operator not to have its own 4G service, but has signed a deal with Yoigo to use its network. Telefonica has teamed up with Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson to deploy its own 4G infrastructure. Further sharing deals were also announced in the fixed broadband sector, where Telefonica will allow Vodafone and Orange to access its fibre-optic network to roll-out broadband faster. This should also
reduce costs for operators, which are under pressure owing to Spain's faltering economy. As is to be expected, high levels of unemployment have drastically cut consumers' spending power, with telecoms one of the many sectors that are feeling a pinch. This means it is crucial for operators to price their 4G offerings appropriately, as low-cost MVNOs and Yoigo have been the more successful enterprises during this difficult economic period.
Full Report Details at
* The mobile market contracted by 6.4% y-o-y in Q213, reaching 49.998mn. This was the result of the squeeze on consumer spending and inactive subscription discounting by market leader Movistar and second-ranked Vodafone.
* The disconnection of active subscribers has helped maintain APRU rates this quarter, but we forecast that these will continue to fall during the course of the year because of costumers' heightened price sensitivity of consumers and the implementation of mobile termination rate cuts.
* Dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions saw the largest declines, according to the latest data available from the CMT, down 26.4% in Q113 to 2.884mn.
Key Trends And Developments
The three months between May and July 2013, saw three of the four major operators launch LTE services in Spain. Vodafone was the first at the end of May, followed by Orange and Yoigo in July. Telefonica remains the only MNO not have launch its own LTE services, however, the company signed an agreement with Yoigo in August to access its LTE network.
In September, Telefonica awarded LTE deals to Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson. The contract is the largest 4G LTE agreement for Alcatel-Lucent in Western Europe to date. As part of this deal, Alcatel-Lucent will deploy an LTE network overlay for Telefonica Spain. Alcatel-Lucent will deploy around 8,000 4G base stations. During the initial stage of the project, the company will offer installation and turnkey project management services, as well as systems integration, maintenance and configuration optimisation for Telefonica Spain.
In July 2013, Telefonica finalised a deal with rivals Vodafone and Orange allowing them access to its fibre-optic network in order to roll-out faster broadband. Vodafone and Orange said they will make one-off payments on individual installations to share the networks for about 20 years. Spain's telecoms watchdog CMT will set prices, with no further details revealed about the payments. Vodafone and Orange plan to invest about US$1.29bn in their joint network, bringing g fibre-optic services to 6mn homes in Spain.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Mobile Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Mobile ARPU (EUR) Historical Data And Forecasts
- Fixed Line
- Table: Fixed-Line Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Internet Historical Data And Forecasts
Industry Business Environment Overview
- Western Europe - Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Western Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Spain Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, Q213
- Recent Developments
- Mobile Growth
- Market Share And Net Additions
- Table: Spain Mobile Market, Q213
- Subscription Mix
- Table: Net Additions By Subscription Type ('000), Q212-Q213
- Usage (ARPU/MOU)
- Table: Spanish MVNOs And Their Relationships, YE2011
- Table: Mobile Contract Wins
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operator Tables
- Table: Market Overview
- Table: Movistar
- Table: Vodafone
- Table: Orange
- Table: Yoigo
- Western Europe Mobile Content
- Monetising Footfall
- Interoperable M-Commerce A Stronger Proposition
- Positioning Key To M2M Success
- Fixed Line
- Table: Broadband Subscriptions By Technology ('000)
- Market Shares
- Table: Wireline Developments
- Converged Service Operator Tables
- Table: Telefonica
- Table: Ono
- Table: Orange
- Table: JazzTel
Industry Trends And Developments
- Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Regulatory Framework
- Regulatory Developments
- Market Structure
- Table: Key Players - Spain Telecoms Sector
- Table: Selected Operators - Financial Indicators
- Alcatel Lucent - Shifting Gear
- The Shift Plan In Detail
- Recent Results
- Table: Alcatel-Lucent: Revenues By Segment, Q113 (EURmn)
- European Heartland Remains Challenging
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.