2013-09-21 09:00:07 - New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Philippines Telecommunications Report Q4 2013"
A small uptick in subscriber growth shows how operator strategies are still focusing on building subscriber bases, rather than focusing on increasing revenues from new services. There is still growth potential, as penetration has only just passed 100%. The shared ownership of two of the market's operators has yet to have a negative impact on pricing for subscribers, but BMI sees the potential for longterm implications from reduced competition.
* The mobile market showed 10% year-on-year (y-o-y) growth in Q113, as prepaid subscriptions jumped.
* The number of fixed-line subscribers could be experiencing a sustained period of contraction due to mobile substitution. We forecast 4.0mn subscribers by end-2017, representing a 3.8% penetration rate.
* Despite the mobile market effectively
being a duopoly, mobile ARPUs continue to trend lower. Without a concerted effort to move towards higher revenue-generating products and subscribers, operator ARPU will continue to fall.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/673304_philippines_telecommunications_report ..
Key Trends And Developments
Additional competition will enter the mobile market as ABS-CBN Corporation reached a deal with Globe Telecom to offer services over the latter's network. The newcomer plans to offer mobile TV services in addition to regular mobile services. This should help boost market dynamics and ensure that Philippines Long-Distance Telephone Company (PLDT)-owned Smart Communications and Sun Cellular are not allowed to dominate the market. Newcomers should keep the established operators on their toes, with Smart Communications announcing more LTE sites available across 115 cities and municipalities.
A new draft of guidelines governing foreign ownership in sectors such as telecoms, real estate and other utilities was released by the Philippines Securities and Exchange Commission. The guidelines, which are based on a ruling passed by the Supreme Court in 2011, were released after a previous draft of such guidelines was criticised. The guidelines are less strict and provide more flexibility in determining foreign ownership compared to the definition mentioned in the Supreme Court ruling, according to Hans Sicat, president of the Philippines Stock Exchange.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - ARPU - Historical Data And Forecasts, (PHP)
- Fixed Line
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Broadband - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings
- Regional Perspective
- Table: Philippines Mobile Market Regional Comparison, 2012
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Table: Philippines Mobile Market Net Additions, 2011-2013 ('000)
- Table: Mobile Operators Prepaid And Postpaid APRU (PHP)
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: The Philippines Market Overview
- Table: Smart Communications
- Table: Globe Telecom
- Table: Sun Cellular (acquired by PLDT)
- Asia Pacific Mobile Content
- Tablets Are The New TV
- Table: Percentage Of Long-Form Video Views By Device
- Infrastructure Is A Key Enabler
- Fixed Line
- Table: PLDT Fixed-Line Revenue Breakdown (PHPmn)
- Table: Major Broadband Operator Subscriber Figures ('000)
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Telecoms Market Developments
- Regulatory Overview
- Table: Philippines - Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Regulatory Developments
- Table: Regulatory Developments
- Table: Key Players
- Table: Selected Operator Revenues (US$mn)
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company
- Smart Communications
- Globe Telecom
- Digital Telecommunications Philippines
- Secure Outlook For Gemalto
- Corporate Overview
- Table: Gemalto Financial KPIs, Q113 vs Q112
- Products Appeal To Maturing Asian Markets
- New Asian Growth Helps Insulate Effects Of Recession In Europe
- Table: Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Philippines' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Philippines' Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Philippines' Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Key Indicators For Telecommunications Industry Forecasts
- Telecoms Business Environment Ratings
- Table: Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.