2013-02-25 10:13:06 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Qatar Consumer Electronics Report Q1 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
BMI View: We project Qatar consumer electronics spending will grow by about 9% in US dollar terms in 2013 with leading indicator data being supportive of our positive outlook. The August 2012 YouGov/ Bayt.com consumer confidence index ranked Qataris as the third most optimistic consumers in the Middle East and North Africa region on the question of their economic prospects. An evolving retail landscape will help to stimulate sales, and new technologies, and factors such as increased competition in the mobile communications sector and the roll-out of high-spend broadband services, will also act as drivers Meanwhile, an expected influx of visitors in the run-up to the 2022 FIFA World Cup (3mn tourists arrived when South Africa hosted the event in
2010) should boost spending.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/541268_qatar_consumer_electronics_report_q1_ ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Computer Hardware Sales: US$248mn in 2012 to US$260mn in 2013, +5% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged but Windows 8 tablets and ultrabooks should provide growth areas.
* AV Sales: US$336mn in 2012 to US$368mn in 2013, +10% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flat-screen TV sets the main growth driver.
* Handset Sales: US$103mn in 2012 to US$119mn in 2013, +16% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with operator promotions and new releases expected to result in continued smartphone demand growth.
Risk/Reward Rating: Qatar's score was 56.4 out of 100.0, which despite being slightly down on the previous quarter, gave it an unchanged 4th place in our latest MEA CE RRR table. BMI expects Qatar to remain an important regional market due to the high economic growth rate that is forecast, and which will buoy consumer confidence.
Key Trends & Developments
* Qatar's promising 3G market will also be a core battleground for mobile operators and handset vendors alike, and is just starting to show signs of impressive growth. BMI projects that 3G models will account for above 80% of handset sales by 2017. Our new 3G growth forecast is that by the end of 2017 about 46% of Qatari mobile subscribers will use some form of 3G service.
* We forecast private consumption growing 13% y-o-y and 10% y-o-y in 2012 and 2013 respectively. One driver of spending on AV devices will be the roll-out of faster broadband services such as Qtel's fibre-tothe- home (FTTH) service, which should drive spending on facilitating devices such as cameras, monitors, portable computers and digital TV sets. Sales of LCD and plasma screen sets have increased as prices have fallen substantially over the last few years, with the price of a 32 inch LCD TV now below US$850.
* One emerging product category vendors will watch is ultrabooks, which have been heavily promoted by some vendors. However, their average price in H112 was about QAR4,000, which is likely to act as a constraint on the market. Prices are expected to fall, spurring faster adoption.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2010-2017
- Economic Outlook
- Table: Qatar - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Middle East And Africa Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: PC Sales, 2009-2017
- Table: AV Sales, 2010-2017
- Table: Mobile Communications, 2010-2017
- Market Overview
- Table: Qatar Distributors For Leading Brands
- Axiom Telecom
- Qatar Demographic Data
- Table: Qatar's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Qatar's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Qatar's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Qatar's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.